Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have 3 cats 1 Angora female about 6 years old, 1 mancoon…

I have 3 cats...

I have 3 cats 1 Angora female about 6 years old, 1 mancoon male about 7 years old and 1 grey t

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?

All three have come down with a really bad cold or a respiratory infection, we've taken to our vet, but since it was deadline for licensing the vet couldnt see all three as there were probably hundreds of dogs and cats coming and going. He gave one an antibiotic shot and sent us had me with liquids drops for the other two which is not easy to do, but we got it done. This all happened when we acquired a new cat, due to her owners sudden death! The sneezing started with the new cat after we took her to the vet when we first took her for a welfare check! It's been almost a week and no one is peeing or pooing? Today is the first time any of them have eaten, they are so miserable and congested and the vet said yeah that happens!!! Not at my house! What can I do to aleveate their symptoms and make them more comfortable while they ride this out???

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?

Fella, he's the sickest! Mimzy Darling she sneezes the most and Sheeba the new one

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

He's been our vet forever, and Sheeba the new one was one of my best friends cat, but she had to move out of state, so I took the cat for a friend to care for, unfortunately that friend died very suddenly on my living room floor. When we went to pick up Sheeba that night we realized there was a bed bug infestation in the apartment, so we took her to the vet the next morning well low and behold now we have bed bugs s there a connection between the two?

3/18/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. Please give me a moment to review the information you have provided.

I'm sorry to hear your household has come down with an upper respiratory infection. It was most likely passed to them from the other cat, even if the cat itself wasn't showing any symptoms. To treat their congestion, I recommend getting some Afrin nose drops and putting a drop in each nostril every 8 hours. There is also an anti-nausea medication called Cerenia that has the helpful side effect of being a great nasal decongestion. So I would ask your vet about getting some Cerenia for them. Hopefully they will start eating and drinking (and therefore peeing and pooping) once they are able to smell their food.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian