Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 3 year old Chihuahua pug is sneezing and parts of her fur…

My 3 year old...

My 3 year old Chihuahua pug is sneezing and parts of her fur is standing up. I looked on her belly and it looks like she has hives. We just recently adopted a cat from a shelter and the cat ended up having cat herpes. We are treating him. My question is can my dog get cat herpes? Also, could she be allergic to the cat?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your Chihuahua's name and age?

Princess and she’s 3

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Princess?

All her shots are up to date and until now she’s been healthy. Oh I almost forgot she had diarrhea once yesterday.

3/18/2018
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are concerned about Princess.

Dogs do not get cat Herpes virus, so that is not what is wrong. If she has hives, this probably is an allergic reaction. How much does she weigh? You can give her 1 mg of Benadryl per pound of her body weight every few hours.

She could be allergic to the cat, but it could be anything at all.

She weighs 10 pounds
Thank you gor your help.

You are welcome. She could take 10 to 12.5 mg of Benadryl every few hours.

If you look at her gums by lifting her lip, are they pink in color?

they are pink

That is a good sign she is not in danger.

There are spots of Black is that normal?

Where are the black spots? Can you post a picture?

Sorry, I thought the black spots were on her skin! Black spots on the gums is normal!

Oh I’m sorry I should have said that. Thank you so much.

You are welcome!

Kindly consider rating my answer to notify the website I am assisting you; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.​

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thanks for the great rating and the bonus!

Thank you for all your help!!!

You are welcome!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?