Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has a clean litter box, is the only cat in the house.

My cat has a...

My cat has a clean litter box, is the only cat in the house. He poops in the box located in the cellar but won’t pee in it. Instead he pees all over the cellar. Would this maybe be a UTI or bladder infection?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections your cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is your cat's name and age?

Toby. He’s 4

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Toby?

Otherwise he’s fine. Thanks

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/18/2018
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No thank you. This is fine. I don’t have a lot of money.

I would definitely have a vet run a urinalysis to see if he has urinary tract inflammation or infection. It is very common in cats and especially in male cats. Even my own cat has chronic urinary tract issues and has to be on a special diet or his urinary tract becomes blocked. So if he has a urinary tract infection, he will be put on antibiotics. If the ph of his urine is too high, or too low, then the vet will prescribe a special diet to bring the urine ph closer to neutral.
If there are no know medical causes, then it is behavioral. I think I would start with an anti-anxiety medication. There are a number of inexpensive oral ones to try. Hopefully you can put it in some canned food, or tuna, and he will eat it. The vet will be able to prescribe one for him. It takes about 2 weeks until they get used to it and it gets to the full effect. If you can not get the oral form in him, they do make some trans dermal versions that you can rub on the skin. But, those are more expensive so try the oral version first.

When he has an accident, I would dab up his urine, with a paper towel, and put that in his litter box.
There is also a litter additive, called "cat attract" that you can buy at the pet store. It attracts the cats to the box.
If you have changed litter types, or scents, you may want to go back to one you know he liked prior to this trouble.
Some cats develop an aversion to certain types of litters or scents. Ideally, you would get a number different styles of litter boxes and a few different types of litters. Make sure on of the litter types is unscented. He may prefer an enclosed box, or an unclosed box, now.
You will also need to buy a black light. This will make the urine fluoresce. Shine the light around the litter box, and around his hiding spots, and check for urine. You will need to clean up every ounce of urine with a product to get urine out. I use "natures miracle urine destroyer." They sell it online, at petsmart, and at petco. You may want to rent, or buy, a steam cleaner as well.
There is a pheromone room spray, or diffuser, called "feliway." It is the scent cats make when they are calm and happy. I would spray it around the litter box and anywhere you find urine. I would keep a room diffuser in the most affected room as well. You can buy feliway online or at pet stores.

If there is one spot he likes to go, I would put a puppy paper training pad there. If he goes on that, you can buy a "canine litter box" which will be a base with 4 walls you snap on. First put the puppy pad just on the base. Then, when he is using the puppy pad on the base of the canine litter box, snap on one wall. Then when he is going on the puppy pad in the box with one wall, snap on another wall. Eventually, the litter box will be fully assembled. Then add a few grains of litter. Eventually you can add more litter until the puppy pad is covered in litter.

The make products to keep cats away from certain areas. Some are uncomfortable to jump on. Some spray air or citronella or make a noise. Some vibrate when the cat jumps on them. Here are some examples. You can use those to keep him away from certain areas and to keep the cats off the porch. The cats outside are probably upsetting him and he feels the need to protect his territory.
If you want to read more about feline house soiling

Did that help?
If you have additional questions, please click "reply."
Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you I’ll make an appointment and get those items.

You are very welcome. : )

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian