Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Several weeks ago I noticed my cat had a red, sore looking…

Several weeks ago I...

Several weeks ago I noticed my cat had a red, sore looking bald spot on her tail. She's an indoor cat, always has been. Within the next several weeks she developed two more red,sore looking bald spots, but only on her tail.We heard it could be the mange, but we know nothing about the mange or what it looks like. PLEASE HELP!!! We love Jasper so much!!! And had her since she was 6 weeks old, & she's now 3. Thank You!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?

Jasper

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jasper?

Not that I can think of. She's spayed, had her kitten shots, she's 3 years old, & she lives with her sister. We got them together.

3/18/2018
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are concerned about Jasper.

Mange is a parasitic condition, caused by microscopic mites in the skin. It is fairly rare in cats. You could get the flea medication Bravecto from your veterinarian; it is effective against these mites.

It is possible this is an allergic reaction to something (pollen, dust, food ingredient), or a skin infection. These are more common in cats. Are these lesions itchy?

There are no over the counter products that will treat the mites that cause mange.

Flea allergies are a common cause of skin conditions in cats. Cats can become so sensitized to the flea bites that they can lose hair from just one or two fleas, so it is not unusual for the owner not to see any fleas. The veterinary dermatology experts always recommend starting with a good flea product before getting into expensive medications or treatments; the Bravecto would be a good choice since it also gets the mites. Revolution is another flea product that can be effective against mites.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Jasper really can't get to the 3 sores she has now because of where they're located on her tail. Will I have to put Jasper down??? :( :( :(

Goodness, no! This does not sound fatal to me; it is most likely something treatable. If the lesions are on her tail, I would have her anal glands checked.

I would have her checked over by your veterinarian, and try the Bravecto on both cats; there is a good chance this will clear up with treatment.

Please let me know if my answer is helpful and if you have other questions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Rebecca, thank you sooo much more than you'll ever know!!! :) My husband & I are "such" animal lovers & it would literally upset our lives so! I'm so thankful I got you today!!! We love our cats more than most people, & are both crying over Jasper. Can't imagine life without them now! They're our kids now since the coop is empty now. Again Rebecca, Thank You immensely for "all" of your help!!! And have an awesome day!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) You're an angel!!! GOD BLESS YOU SWEETIE!!! :)

You are so welcome! Please let me know how she is dong.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I sure will!!!

Kindly consider rating my answer to notify the website I am assisting you; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.​

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thanks for the great rating!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Rebecca, my husband wants to know what is the very best medication we can purchase. And also, he wants to know will Jasper's hair grow back on her tail?

I can't tell that for sure without being able to examine her. The best medications would be prescription, from your veterinarian. She may just need to have her anal glands expressed!

I would start with Bravecto for fleas, but you can only get it from your veterinarian.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank You Rebecca! :) Have a nice day! :) I Will let you know how Jasper & Spooky's health is going in a few.

Please do.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian