Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat still sneezing after competing antibiotics. Luna 1 year.

Customer Question
Cat still sneezing after...

Cat still sneezing after competing antibiotics

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?

Luna 1 year

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Luna?

She’s had lots of tests including lung washes which diagnosed a infection quite resistant to antibiotics but we were prescribed the correct on and she has just finished them a two week course but has stopped coughing but is still sneezing

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/18/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she had these signs?

What type of infection or bacterial species did they find?

Any nasal discharge? What color? From one or both nostrils?

No discharge, not sure what type but she had a two week course of antibiotics sneezing increased a few days after completing the tablets

Hello again,

Now with Luna failing to completely clear her respiratory signs, this suggests either we haven't fully cleared the bacterial infection (and need a longer course) or that there is a secondary viral component (ie herpes, calicivirus). Therefore, once her vet is open tomorrow, you will want to ring them to update them on this as they may just need to dispense another 1-2 weeks of treatment. Or if this was very resistant we may need them change antibiotic (or combination treat) +/- check its not now resistant to what you did use. As well, since sneezing can be related to inflammation of the nasal passage secondarily to the infection, they may also want to put her onto a kitty safe anti-inflammatory to just see if that can be reduced.

In the meantime, I do want to note some home care options for you to try. First, you can use a bit of steam treatment with Luna. To do so, you can take her in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear discharge from the airway. It will also moisten her nasal passage to reduce the irritation that is making her sneeze. You can also use a baby nebulizer, but often they don’t like things held up to their faces. So, if you find that to be an issue, you can make a little ‘steam tent’ with her in a carrier, the nebulizer next to that, and a bed sheet over both.

Furthermore, non-medicated saline nasal drops (ie Ocean Mist or Little Noses) can be used. To do so, just tilt the head back and drop 2-3 drops in one nostril. Not a favorite, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril.

Finally, if there is any concern of an underlying herpes virus infection (quite common and something they are infected with for their life time), you could also consider starting OTC L-lysine. This is a nutritional supplement that can help them recover quicker. This is available over the counter at vets, pet stores, and even online. They come as gels, powders, and as crushable tablets that can be mixed into food. An average cat dose is 500mg a day. But again with regards ***** *****'s situation this sounds like the infection may not be 100% cleared or we may hav a viral component that needs addressing as well.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************

If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help. Afterward, as I am dedicating my evenings & weekends to helping you, I would be grateful if you could please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**