Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My guinea pig had a fight and got his ear split...I treated…

My guinea pig had...

My guinea pig had a fight and got his ear split...I treated it with betadine and neosporin and he doesn’t seem to be worried about it or in any pain...eating normally and even popcorning...but my real question is, is that an injury that could be sutured?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your guinea pig?

No, just the split ear

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/18/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

We have four male guinea pigs and it is a street brawl every day with them LOL

You can confirm that there is no more bleeding?

Paul

I have 4 male piggies also and I thought I was the only one struggling with the brawls...but no, there’s no more bleeding

Okay great

You have done a really good job thus far

I would not bother with the suturing. It will heal on its own

I do suggest that you separate him for a few days however

Paul

He’s separated already, the brawl actually happened when I let them all go in the playpen for some floortime...I have two cages with two piggies each due to fighting that began with the injured piggy and the former piggy “boss”

Ha ha ha

We have them in three cages now arrrrrrgh- little turds

Okay that is good-> Keep it clean and yes continue to put on the neosporin

Paul

Thanks...you’ve relieved my worries cuz I think I’m more worried bout it than he is...my piggies r my babies ��...thanks again

Very welcome!

Update me in a couple of days

And you can rate me now- I will leave this link open for you :)

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian