Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I arrived today to with my cat for the first time.He had…

Hi.. I arrived today...

Hi.. I arrived today to Washington with my cat for the first time.He had never left home and before leaving I gave him a Clonazepam. He was a bit aggressive in the airport, but then fell alseep. On the plane, he began to cry uncontrollably so I decided to give him another pill. This time it didnt work and he continued to cry uncontrollably until we got home. When we arrived home, he still cries and has been on an on and off sleeping schedule since 8am. When he wakes up, he wobbles and can really walk as well as continues to cry uncontrollably. This is the first time this has even happend and I dont know what to do. He also hasnt eaten, drinken water, or used his new litter.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?

Niko

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Niko?

He is 1 year old and weighs 14 pounds. He flew today for the first time.

Why could he be acting this way? Is this normal? What should I do?
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/18/2018
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your concerns today.

How much Clonazepam did you give Niko before & during the flight?

Thank you.

Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Cat Veterinarian
I gave him a pill and then another in the flight. Each pill is .5
DrRoyC
Phone call session started

OK, thank you. My state board prohibits my taking phone calls in this venue, but I am happy to continue here. Is that OK?

I prefer typing, but phone call is okay too
Yeah, dont worry

So, you did not overdose Niko, but I think with the extreme anxiety he went through today, he is showing paradoxical behavior to this medication. This means his body chemistry is reacting badly & in an opposite manner in which it was designed to do so. High levels of the stress hormones like cortisol will actually override the neurological effects of this class of drugs. So it is not uncommon to see extreme agitation, vocalization, excitement ( including biting ), tremors, & ataxia, when you would expect mild sedation.

This will wear off over the next 8-12 hours. If you have a dark,quiet room to place him, that will reduce all auditory & sight stimulation. He should be much better tomorrow, you will just need to help him through the night. He may still be a touch wobbly tomorrow, but if he is still very stressed, you may need to find an emergency vet open . sometimes we need to add another sedative to help bring these animals back down, because he is so stressed that he is just keeping things going. If he does have fairly quiet periods where he can rest, then these will get longer until all the Clonazepam is out of his system & all his stress hormones come back down, too.

Whatever you do, I do not recommend giving any more Clonazepam.

How do I know if he is still stressed? He has been sleeping almost all day and when he wakes up he starts crying and meowing. What else should I do?
I should just let him sleep and it tomorrow he starts to cry again, I should take him to an emergenecy vet?

There really is not more that I think you need to do tonight. Not only is he still reacting to the medication & flight, he now is in a very strange place. I would try to bear with things tonight, & tomorrow if he is still very stressed, not eating, crying, you might want to have him seen. But he will be unsettled until he gets used to his new home. This may take a few days, & this is perfectly normal behavior for a cat. They sometimes have a hard time adjusting.

Okay thank you

I know that you are probably frazzled too. I know what it is like to fly with pets.

Yeah, its the first time I fly with a pet and it was his first time flying too. I dont think I would give him that pill next time because it didnt work. Are there other pills or methods that work faster and truly?

Honestly, because of this exact problem, I never recommend sedating a pet for a flight. Making sure a pet feels comfortable in a carrier by taking lots a short car trips is best. If Niko knows his carrier is a safe place, one where he will nap & take treats will go a long way to making a trip much more comfortable. Mostly, I leave everyone home now. Flying is so unpredictable & stressful for me that I avoid it. But you were moving, so it had to be done. But conditioning is the key if you plan on traveling with Niko again.