Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Aloha. My outdoor cat about 9yrs old I think.(She just

Aloha. My outdoor...

Aloha. My outdoor cat about 9yrs old I think.(She just showed up one day) She is losing the fur on the backs of both legs and has some loss on the upper part of her tail too. There is not scabbing or redness. I cannot "grab her" to take her to a vet and no one will help me over the phone or with pictures. Can you please advise as to what I can try? She seems happy enough and is the same as always. I have given her advantage multi about 3-4 weeks ago.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?

I call her Girlie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Girlie?

There are 4 other cats that are here every day and none of them have the same thing. I live in the country, not city area.

3/18/2018
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

Would you be able to show me the pictures? You can post them on here by using the "Paper clip" icon.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do not know how nor do I see a paper clip icon

Are you on a computer or phone?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i'm on the computer

Okay, at the top of this box where we are typing the words, there should be icons in little boxes. Use the paper clip one to upload the files.

It will say "browse" and then you go to where your pictures are on the computer. The file that contains the picture you want. You click on it and it will upload.

If you are not comfortable doing that you can also upload your photos at www.photobucket.com

Then there will be a link and you will copy and paste the link on here.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It's just as I described, losing hair. Is there something I can try? topical or in her food?

You could put advantage or frontline drops for flea allergy on the back of her head/neck.

If she has flea saliva allergy then one flea bite will cause an allergic reaction.

Fleas like to bite over the hind end of the cats.

You can put an antihistamine in her food.

1/4 of a 10mg Zyrtec tablet every 24 hours.

Or

10mg of benadryl every 12 hours.

There are lots of things that can cause hair loss in cats.

If she is outdoor, flea saliva allergy would be common.

The antihistamines are for environmental allergies.

Topically you can apply over the counter hydrocortisone cream or hydrocortisone spray. Use the human kind you get at the drug store.

I would start with that.

Does that help?

Do you have any other questions?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. I'll try one of those options. No other questions.

You are welcome.

Also, chicken is the number one food allergy in cats.

So you may want to change the protein source in her food and avoid grains.

Start with the flea treatment and antihistamine and cortisone cream first.

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian