Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I just got a new kitten, 6 months today from the shelter. He…

I just got a...

I just got a new kitten, 6 months today from the shelter. He is drooling intermittent clear saliva since I first saw him. We are home now(his new home) and continues to do this. He is my 4th cat and I have never seen one do this. They did a complete exam, vaccines including rabies FIV and FELV testing(which were negative). Is this a behavioral thing or do I need to take him to the emergency vet?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do with the drooling. What is the kitten's name?

He came with the name Charlie Chaplin. He has a little mustache like that under his nose. We have not decided if we are going to keep that name or not.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the kitten?

Not that I am aware. I have only had him for about 5 hours. He also seems scared of me.

3/18/2018
CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian

Does he do this when you pet him or when he is purring?

Because that's Happy Drooler Syndrome as I have dubbed it. It's related to nursing behavior and is annoying but charming.

He could be losing his last few adult teeth which can cause oral discomfort. It also could be due to severe gum/dental disease but that's rare in a young cat.

I would let him settle into his new home and see what he does over the next couple of days, how well he eats, and watch for additional developments.

Can you post a photo of his face for me here to have a peek? I am interested in reading his mental state and a picture is worth a thousand words.

Does not do when I pet him. Sometimes he hisses or growls when I pet him. He has not purred yet.
He has eaten well since being here. Also drank. I will post a picture as soon as he does it again.

I wouldn't stress him. Let him come to you for attention and he'll calm down sooner.

So the salivating is intermittent?

It's intermittent.

Have you talked to the shelter about his behavior there?

Was he around dogs in the shelter? How about at home now, any dogs? Cats can be really freaked out by them and it can take a while for them to get over the scare.

I would tell you to peek in his mouth to see if his cheek teeth are falling out and the new ones coming in, but it's not really safe for you if he's growling.

Bribe him and buy his friendship with some Temptations treats (but not any of the fish flavors).

He was drooling the first moment that I saw him. They had dogs but he was not in the same room with them. The cages were completely separate. I don't have a dog in my home. I do have another cat.
I do have treats I can give him. Not Temptations, but Blue Buffalo.

He might be unhappy about the fact of your cat's existence and be smelling it on you so transferring that unhappiness to you.

Can you ask at the shelter if they noticed the drooling and looked in his mouth?

I can not ask the shelter until tomorrow. But, the worker is the one who said he is just nervous.

That may indeed be all that is. He might surprise you tomorrow when he calms down and figures out you are the food provider.

Okay, so I should watch for now. And hope it goes away?

You can give me an update tomorrow or Monday and we can figure out what if anything might need to be done. Just bookmark this chat window for easy return.

Okay. Will do. Do I just start chatting again to continue conversation?

I will be checking in tomorrow afternoon.

Yep. If you goof and wind up in a new question i will make sure you don't get double billed.

CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian
Today my kitten seems to be doing much better. It is not noon yet but no salivating and he is less scared of me. I think he realizes I give the food and the snuggles.