Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

He has a nodule. Looked at by vet. Was soft. Now has gotten…

He has a nodule...

He has a nodule. Looked at by vet. Was soft. Now has gotten smaller, harder, and ulcerated. Does not appear painful. Hard mass flakes when scratched. He hates the vet, sneezes for days after a visit. Also has a few spots on his legs. Looked at over the years by different vets. They come and go. Most thought he was allergic to his aliva.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Sorry, cat 15 years old. Orange tabby

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Cat

Veterinarian's Assistant: Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the cat's name and age?

O 15

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

O

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about O?

Stray we adopted at age 2 . Reacts poorly to vaccines. Has a BB in him that was so discovered during an x-ray

3/17/2018
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about this nodule on your cat. How long has it been there?

I see the picture of the nodule, but not any pictures of his legs.

This nodule has a benign appearance, but the only way to know for sure what it is would be some type of biopsy. I usually start with FNA, fine needle aspiration, where I insert a small sterile needle into the lump, to get cells to examine microscopically.

If any abnormal or suspicious cells are seen, I would have it removed.

The nodule has been there as a soft moveable mass for close to a year if not more. But in the last 2 months it has started to change, of course right after we took him to the vet! :) It got a bit larger and then started to shrink, then ulcerate. It does not seem to bother him. He does lick the places on his legs a lot. I will try again to include the leg picture.

If the nodule is changing, I would have FNA done, to see what it is and if it needs to be removed.

I have read that nodules often reappear. We will not do any form of cancer treatment at his age and with his temperament, there would be no quality of life for him. Can they remove the nodule without a FNA? Are nodule like this typically attached the healthy skin or are they separate masses? It seems to just flake away.
If they do excise the nodule, do they need broad margins, I guess my question is how large would with incision and wound typically be follow surgery?

The nodule has definitely changed, but still may be benign. The only way to know is to have it removed and biopsied, or FNA done.

If you do FNA first, then you should know if you have to do a wide excision or not. If it is a mast cell tumor, I would try for a wide excision. If it is a benign nodule, I would leave it alone, or do a narrow excision.

Regardless of the size of the incision, healing would take about 1 to 2 weeks.

The lesion on the leg looks like "dermatitis", inflamed skin, which could be from infection, allergy, overgrooming.

That is a shorter recovery than I anticipated. So my other hesitation is the affect of the anesthesia on an older cat. Is it worth the risk to have a benign tumor removed? I am guess it is not a local!

If it is benign, then I would only remove it if it bothers him, bothers you, or there is concern about it getting bigger.

You can use local anesthesia, but you have to do some sedation, if not general anesthesia, since you need the cat to be still and a local will not keep him from moving.

Thank you so much for your advice. I guess my last question is, will it ever resolve itself if it is benign? Since it is flaking away, do they ever just go away?
Oh, and should I be cleaning or putting anything on those ulcerated areas? Thanks again

You are welcome. It is possible it may resolve, but if it has been there a long time, probably not.

You could try applying a topical antibiotic such as mupirocin (prescription) or Neosporin.

Kindly consider rating my answer to notify the website I am assisting you; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.​

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Another question from the family, if it is a mast cell, cancerous, and it is removed, would that help the cat if no other treatment was completed. Last one, I promise!

If it is a mast cell tumor and is completely excised, it likely will be a cure. Occasionally these spread or "metastasize" but not as often in cats as in dogs.

Stepping out for a little while but if you have more questions I will be happy to answer them when I return.

Thanks for the great rating.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
I just wanted to give you an update. The nodule came out. It was waxy feeling and was attached by what look like sebaceous oil. It did not bleed. It left some flaps of skin. It did not seem to hurt him. The skin seemed to form a pod around the crusty,waxy blob. It had a hard yellow center. Thank you.

This may be some kind of cyst, if it ruptured like this. Many cysts are fluid filled, but can be filled with a thick discharge that can harden.

This may heal over, but then the process of it forming and rupturing might occur all over again, until this is removed.

Thank you.

You are welcome. Thanks for the update.