Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Our 12 year old tortoise cat, Willow, went to the vets two…

Our 12 year old...

Our 12 year old tortoise cat, Willow, went to the vets two weeks ago because she was constipated. Our vet did not have to administer an enema but gave her a bolus of saline to hydrate our girl. Now, she’s struggling to go to the bathroom and cries when she needs to give a bowel movement. She is eating and drinking. What else can we do? Is there such a thing as a stool softener for a cat?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Willow?

Willow is finding it very uncomfortable to sit upright. She lays more than sits and she is very hesitant to sit her butt the whole way on the floor.

3/17/2018
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your concerns today.

Most times a 1/4 teaspoon of Miralax twice a day works quite well. This is something that can be easily mixed into a small amount of canned food & works quite well. If the Miralax does not help by Monday, then I would get with your vet about starting willow on another stool softener called Lactulose. She may need some pain medication too because at 12 years of age, this might be related to some arthritis, especially in her back. I have found that Gabapentin has worked very well in these situations.

I hope this makes sense & you find the information helpful. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Thank you.

Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Cat Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much Dr. Linda! We will get the Miralax today and see how that goes. We want both of our cats to have great lives here in our home!

You are so welcome. I hope everyone does great.

Have a wonderful weekend.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Linda
Dr Linda
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Cat Veterinarian