Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She's eating un controllably drinking a lot of water losing…

Customer Question
She's eating un controllably...

She's eating un controllably drinking a lot of water losing a lot of weight she's probably only about 6 lb but she's famished all the time and she's about 12 years old maybe 13

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?

Ally

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ally?

No except I'm really concerned she's all skin and bones really she was tested a few months back for diabetes and it was negative

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/17/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now what you have reported with Ally is not an uncommon scenario in geriatric cats. We can see older cats start struggle to keep weight on despite a great appetite for a range of reasons. All of which can also increase their thirst and urination to the point of excess. Now its good diabetes has been ruled out but my top worry for her would be hyperthyroidism. Though we can see similar signs at times with cats that have liver disease, kidney troubles, or while it isn't nice to think about -- cancer as it too manifest this way as it steals the bodies nutrients.

With these in mind, it'd be ideal to have her reassessed (if she is due for a vaccination soon, you could move it up a wee bit early and have her checked out at that time). The vet will be able to have a feel of her and just make sure there are no sinister lumps and bumps to blame for these signs. If she is clear of obvious masses, then you may want your vet to check a blood sample to assess her organ health and rule out the above issues.

Alternatively, if you want to take things a bit slower or aren't keen to see the vet yet, you can consider first submitting a urine sample to your vet. Often we can obtain a ‘donation’ if the kitty is left overnight in a non-carpeted room with an empty litter box. The vet will be able to analyze it and determine if there is anything abnormal. They will be able to appreciate changes to the urine's white blood cell content (infection), the presence of glucose/ketones (a double check for diabetes) and bilirubin (a sign of liver disease). Furthermore, the vet will be able to check the urine's specific gravity, which tells us if the kidneys are concentrating the urine properly (since dilute urine is seen with kidney disease). Overall, this is inexpensive and non-invasive means of checking if there are any of the these differentials could be affecting her. Depending on what is found, this can tell you if one of these issues are affecting her or whether we can rule them out right off the bat. (Though do note that with hyperthyroidism, we can only test via blood sample since the hormone doesn't enter the urine).

Finally, while just a short term measure, I'd note that we can try to slow her weight loss by increasing her nutrition intake. To do so, we can add kitten food, Hill's A/D, Royal Canin Recovery, or Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet to her daily feeds. All of these are critical care diets that are calorically dense, so a little goes a long way nutrition-wise. And these could just help get some more calories to slow her weight loss.

Overall, I am quite concerned about Ally. Ideally, we'd want her checked at this point for the above worries. Because if you are able to identify which of these is triggering her signs sooner rather then later, it will give you the best chance to address and treat them as effectively as possible to possibly get some weight back on her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************

If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help. Afterward, as I am dedicating my evenings & weekends to helping you, I would be grateful if you could please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian