Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I stopped the Zylkene after traveling and the cat was having…

I stopped the Zylkene...

I stopped the Zylkene after traveling and the cat was having troutle a little tis morning

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?

She was trying to comet and her back legs were sliping

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the cat seem to hurt?

Vomet

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?

No just the medicine in a tuna paste

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?

Tggerette 11

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Tigger

3/17/2018
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Did she bring anything up? If so, what does the vomit look like?

Can she keep water down?

Does she seem weak with her back legs?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human medications/drugs, etc)?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
V
Her vomit was small clear an yellow she’s sleeping now
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don’t think she ate anything poiseness

Hello again,

First, its good she has settled but do make sure to check her gums and belly as changes there can be a sign of urgent issues. That aside, stopping the Zylkene would not be expected to cause nausea/vomiting in cats. Instead, I'd be suspicious she has a brewing bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, or dietary indiscretion. And as she is older, I cannot exclude underlying systemic issues (ie kidney, liver disease, etc).

With this all in mind, we can let her try to sleep this off this afternoon but otherwise can try some home supportive care to try to settle her stomach. To start, you can consider treating her with an OTC pet safe antacid. [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if you give this and she cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

Afterwards, you can consider starting her on an easily digestible diet like boiled chicken, boiled white fish, , scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning her slowly back to her normal diet.

Since dehydration is a risk in vomiting kitties, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check that she isn't dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, do make sure she doesn’t have sunken eyes and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, her signs do raise a few concerns here. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle her stomach, and get her back feeling like herself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
DrRoyC
Phone call session started
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian