Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat keeps chewing on her belly and inner thigh. Now there…

Customer Question
My cat keeps chewing...

My cat keeps chewing on her belly and inner thigh. Now there is no hear and lots of inflammation.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is your cat's name and age?

This is Bronson and she is 12.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

I meant the cat' name is*****: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bronson?

Several months ago, my vet said it was from stress after I was hospitalized and different people were coming in to care for her. He gave a cortisone shot. Recently, the chewing has escalated, but I have been home for 3 months.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/17/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear Bronson has been chewing on himself. Anxiety can certainly be a cause of this behavior, but there are other causes, too. In animals, food allergies or allergies to something in the environment can also cause skin issues. It might help to give Bronson some Benadryl. If it stops him from chewing himself, that is a sign that allergies are probably responsible for his behavior. You can give one mg tablet of 25 mg Benadryl every 12 hours. If that does not seem to help, and it seems that he is in fact doing it due to anxiety (and he could have anxiety and allergies going on at the same time), I would talk to your vet about try an anti-anxiety medication such as fluoxetine (Prozac).