Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

He has been shying away for a few days and then we noticed…

Customer Question
He has been shying...

He has been shying away for a few days and then we noticed he wasn't moving around much or eating. Last night we noticed he is having trouble breathing and his gums are kinda gray/white. He really doesn't look good. I was behind on giving them the dewormer. I gave it to them last night. We have 3 and the other 2 seem fine. I'm really worried but also mostly broke. What can I do????

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

He is breathing with his tongue out a little and his eyes are kinda glossy. He lost weight very quickly. We just moved to a new place 3 weeks ago and he was doing great

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/17/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now this isn't good. The wormer won't be significant at this point. How elevated breathing rate with pale/grey gums screams poor oxygenation which unfortunately is an emergency situation and can be fatal if left. Possible causes include heart issues, lung disease (ie pneumonia, asthma, bronchitis, etc) or anemia (low red blood cell levels from viral infections, blood parasites, immune destruction of red blood cells or a problem with his marrow). All are very serious and potentially fatal if his gums are white. And those infectious ones could be spread to the other cats.

In this case, we do really need him seen to give him a chance here as I am sure you can appreciate he needs oxygen and there are no home care treatments for those above issues. And we do need to be proactive since as time goes on he will have to breath harder to keep himself going and cats just aren't able to do that for very long. In fact, they can start to deteriorate or fatigue from breathing so heavily and collapse on us. Therefore, with what you are reporting, we need to do what we can here and if costs are an issue your best option is to try to get him seen by using the free first consult offer from VCA or Banfield veterinary hospitals. You can find vouchers for this via VCA: (http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer) & Banfield : (http://www.banfield.com/landing-pages/coupon). Otherwise, you could consider checking out the Humane Society's database (http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html). They have a lot of branches nationwide, along with ties to other assistance organizations that can keep down costs and surely will be willing to help. And if all else fails, you can see if the local ER vet will see him and work with you here to help him survive this (and once ease his breathing we'd likely see him eat again).

Please take care,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian