Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is roughly 18 years old and within the last three…

My cat is roughly...

My cat is roughly 18 years old and within the last three days has developed little crusty scabs around the outer top portion of his eyes and on his chest. Also he has been loosing big clumps of fur. Not like the usual spring shedding of a winter coat. He is an indoor cat and it is not fleas.He doesn't have any. Please help. He's is my little angle.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?

His name is***** has long fluffy fur.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sandy?

He seems to be losing weight even though his apatite is ok. He's also still drinking water regularly and peeing and pooping daily.

3/17/2018
Robert Schwarb

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a licensed veterinarian. If you are available in the next 15 minutes or so I would like to try to help.

Okay.

I am sorry to hear that Sandy is having these skin issues. I certainly hope she is doing well otherwise. How long has this been going on for?

Is she on any currently flea preventative or other medications? And what type of food is she currently eating?

I'm already paying $36.00 and I don't have any answers to my question.

Ok, sorry to hear that, I'm trying to help as best I can. It would be helpful to have some more information for me to better assist you with Sandy.

I'm trying to help determine if the skin lesions you are seeing are potentially due to allergies, skin infection, or something else.

Do you have any specific questions I can answer for you right now?

Sandy is a male long fury tan cat. He does not have fleas and isn't on any medications .

It sounds like he might very well have some skin infection. There is an oral medication option and an injectable option, but both would require a office visit with your veterinarian.

Along with the skin infection it may be due to allergies which might require an allergy medication or a change in diet. Do you have any questions about any of that?

Robert Schwarb

Thank you, ***** ***** Sandy does well. Good luck!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Robert Schwarb