Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My mature cat has rather firm in the am through late morning…

Customer Question
My mature cat has...

My mature cat has rather firm poops in the am through late morning and then soft to occasionally runny in the afternoon. She eats Blue grain-free wilderness which has seems is the best from a digestion stand-point so far.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?

Audrey

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Audrey?

Other than we have tried a considerable number of good brand foods over the last year and Blue gives her better poops. She used to be on Spots Stew but when we moved it was not available and in the meantime I learned it is a totally different formula today.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/16/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that Audrey is having runny stools. Can you please tell me how old she is?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
10 - 12 yrs

Thanks for the information. There can be several causes of diarrhea, including intestinal parasites, irritable bowel disease, food allergy, intestinal lymphoma, hyperthyroidism, and kidney and liver diseases. Since there is so much that could be going on, I recommend getting Audrey in to the vet for some lab work, including a stool check for parasites and bacterial overgrowth, as well as a complete blood count (CBC), chemistry profile, thyroid check, and urinalysis.

If the blood work is normal, that would lead me to lean toward a diagnosis of food allergy, irritable bowel disease, and (hopefully not) intestinal lymphoma. To diagnose food allergies, Audrey will need to be on a prescription hypoallergenic diet for at least 3 months. If her symptoms go away when she is on the diet, but return when she is put back on her regular food, it means she has food allergies and will need to be on the prescription diet long-term.

Signs of irritable bowel disease and lymphoma can show up on an abdominal ultrasound, but the gold standard way to diagnose those would be with intestinal biopsies. However, sometimes it is better to try treatment with oral prednisolone, which decreases the inflammation caused by irritable bowel disease and lymphoma. I would discuss the diagnostic options with your vet (diet trial,abdominal ultrasound with or without biopsy, and treatment with prednisolone).

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian