Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My male cat, 13 yrs old will poop in the litter box but will…

Customer Question
My male cat, 13...

My male cat, 13 yrs old will poop in the litter box but will not pee, he sprays on the wall. He had a spell of seizures a year ago, could something have messed his brain up?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name?

Mickey,

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mickey?

His seizures were so violent that he broke off two of his canine teeth. He hasn't had seizures for about a yr. now.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/16/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that Mickey is not urinating in his litter box. Does he spray against the wall while he is in his litter box, or does he spray somewhere else?

outside of the box

Thank you for the information. When cats urinate outside of the box, it can be due to painful urination. They associate the litter box with pain and so they go outside of the box to avoid the pain. I recommend getting Mickey to the vet's for an exam and a urinalysis to make sure he does not have a urinary tract infection or crystals in his urine. Since he is older, I also recommend having some blood work done. Older cats can develop certain conditions that cause them to urinate more, making them have accidents outside of the box. Some of the things that cause increased drinking and urination in older cats are diabetes and kidney disease. So I would make sure by doing blood work that neither of these things (or anything else) is going on.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Rachel