Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I gave my cat her second synulox tablet about 2 hours ago,

I gave my cat...

I gave my cat her second synulox tablet about 2 hours ago, and she has just been sick and is no hiding away in a quite corner - how worried should I be?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?

She had a small operation on her anal glands on Wednesday but has bright since - she was bright all day today, tried to poo around an hour ago but couldn't do anything

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/16/2018
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Cat Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about your cat and the synulox tablet. One moment, please, while I look this up...

Ah... I see now this medication is what we call Clavamox here in the US. It's a very common antibiotic. It *can* cause some vomiting and diarrhea, but that's not common.

should I leave my cat to herself to recover, or do I need to take her to a vet? and should I stop further tablets (She has a course of 10 tablets, of which she has now had 2)?

Right... sorry for the delay... while I type...

I am assuming she was prescribed the synulox as a follow up to her anal gland surgery, yes?

thats right, my vet wanted to inject her but the cat becomes very stressed by travelling so he gave us the course of tablets instead

In any case, if she were my patient and were acting this way, I know I'd want you to call me. It could be that she's having some pain or additional issues with her anal glands, or just be that the synulox is upsetting her stomach.

If it *is* the medication, there are alternatives that she may do better on.

If it is pain or a problem with her glands, then that can be addressed too.

In short, yes... do call your vet. They'll want to know.

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Cat Veterinarian
ok thanks, ***** ***** for the night so I will call tomorrow morning.....

In fact, the typical response I give my patients when I'm sending them home on a medication like this is, "If she seems to get worse in any way or the medication seems to upset her stomach, please stop the medication right away and give me a call."

That's the best plan.

Is there anything else I can help you with at this time?

Tomorrow morning should be good. Thanks so much for looking after her so well.