Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Rachel, As you suggested, I added low sodium chicken broth…

Customer Question
Hi Dr. Rachel,As you suggested...
Hi Dr. Rachel,As you suggested, I added low sodium chicken broth to the water. Unfortunately, he is still not drinking the water or eating anything. The good news is he passed stool yesterday and he is less lethargic. He is, also, drinking small amounts of water from my mom's hand. My mom noticed he is also dripping urine while sitting on the couch and other soft surfaces. He was sleeping on the couch the other day and passed a little bit of urine. The same thing happened today while he was sitting on a towel. There was no blood in the urine. Any suggestions as to what may be causing the problem?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/16/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I am worried that what your vet thought was constipation was actually a very full, hard bladder. Male cats are at risk of developing plugs and crystals in their urine. If that happens, they are unable to urinate, which obviously feels very uncomfortable and can also cause kidney damage. With the leaking urine, it's possible that he is now able to urinate but only a little. Another reason for the urine leaking could be that because of being distended for so long, the bladder is not able to contract on its own and the urine is overflowing out of the bladder for that reason. At this point in time he really needs that x-ray. You can see if you qualify for Care Credit (no interest credit card). If you do qualify, you can call different clinics in the area and see if they accept it.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian