Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

13.5 y-o female cat vomiting almost immediately after eating…

13.5 y-o female cat...

13.5 y-o female cat vomiting almost immediately after eating for past 2-3 days (2 feedings/day), also vomiting what looks like bile. I don't noticed increased urination but she does seem to be drinking a lot. She's become very attached to sleeping with/on me over the past year or 2.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

I also have noticed tremors in her tail and in her head. She also seems to be arthritic. She stopped going downstairs completely about 3 years ago.

3/16/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Good morning

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

How long has she been drinking more water/peeing more in litter box?

Paul

I can't say exactly. I almost never see her pee. I work nights, she sleeps with me all day. She also stays in my bed all night. The litter box is right outside my bedroom. It seems like she's been drinking a lot over the last day or so, but I could just be watching her more closely.
Chloe (cat) stays very close to my bedroom. Occasionally she will sunbathe in the loft upstairs, but if we bring her downstairs, she panics and immediately runs upstairs. So when she does ever leave to use the box, she's in and out. I have also noticed over the past year that her voice has changed.

Okay thanks

Well this is once case where I have to recommend you get her examined

They will want to check her blood and urine and also a thyroid test

I am worried about kidney and liver disease, kidney infection and hyperthyroidism amongst other things

Are you able to take her in?

Paul

I can probably take her in. Yes. I was thinking kidney (chronic and age related) and maybe pancreatitis. Her labs were normal last year. The vet just remarked on her teeth. I have noticed her breath is god-awful... but that may be bc she sleeps in my face. I feel like my vet always tries to up-sell me. What are the minimal diagnostic procedures that she can do to dx?

Okay great

Complete blood count

Chemistry profile

Urinalysis

Thyroid test

Paul

What would make her need anything beyond that? She always suggests x-rays ($95) and ultrasound (which I usually decline). Would it be OK to take her to a new vet? Or is it too risky to take her to someone unfamiliar with her (unremarkable) history?
I have an 8-y-o cat on thyroid med...I know thyroid issues are common in cats. But she doesn't seem to have the same symptoms as he does (he is NEVER full...ever. He's due for a follow up.)

I would stay with your vet- she is making good recommendations

IF she palpates anything in the abdomen then that would justify the ultrasound

Paul

I agree about your observations on hyperthyroidism

Hopefully this is just a kidney infection

Paul

I got her a 2:40 appt. If there is anything that would require surgery, I would want comfort measures only. :( She's a stray that I've had since she was 6 months old... who I spend more time in bed with than my husband...haha. She purrs like a freight train and likes to sleep with at least a paw on me...though it's usually more like half hey body. I love her. It's sad watching her age.

Well it is possible.

Lets hope not!

Start with blood and urine and go from there

Update me please

I specialize in ultrasound :)

Paul

Do you think she needs Rx cat food? (Something else I've been sold, for a different cat. We have 4.)
U/s would show a mass or enlargement as well as a blockage. Is anything that shows up on ultrasound treatable w/o surgery? Chloe looks a bit like a potato sack or the Velveteen rabbit when she sits. Despite reducing her food, I have been unable to cut her weight (14lbs). The same dietary change at the same time helped my other old girl shed her extra pounds. I wouldn't be surprised if there was something in her. :(

Yes of course

Lots of lesions

Cholecystitis

Live disease

Kidney disease

Inflammatory bowel disease

Kidney infection

Okay. We'll see how it goes this afternoon. Thanks for your feedback.
With 4 cats, maybe I should have you all on speed dial (they ALL have issues).

Great!

Happy to help with all your kitties :)

Please update me after the visit and let me know the results

You can rate me now- I will leave this link open for you

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Update on Chloe: I brought her to the vet on Friday. Lots of blood work revealed some degree of renal failure. Dr said she'd have to send out for a creatinine:protein ratio to get a better idea of how advanced. She said urine was dilute. She also said that Chloe has 4 dead molars. She sent me home with meds for vomiting, gabapentin for pain, augmentin for any underlying infection (tho she was not running fever and her wbc was not abnormal... so I have not given any of that yet). She also sent home a couple cans of high nutrient cat food. Chloe doesn't care much for the cat food and is preferring get regular food. She's eating very small amounts every few hours and is drinking a little at that time as well. Otherwise she has been sleeping. Last night/early morning, she was rather limp and lethargic and didn't purr at all. I initially thought she was dead. She perked up a little bit this morning. But as I type this, she's been in the litter box for several minutes trying to void. She finally just passed some urine. No BM. She seemed to be sitting right on her bottom as she did it; when she came out get bottom was all wet and littered. I had to wipe her off. I know that her time is likely limited; I just want her to be comfortable. I've been trying to create a peaceful environment and minimize her having to move (e.g., helping her on and off the bed, bringing food to her, etc). I would rather her just die in her sleep than for me to have to have her put down. I don't know where to draw that line.
She was also hypokalemic. I can give you exact numbers if it helps.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
DocPaul

Hi there

Thank you for taking Chloe in

Sorry about the diagnosis

Suggest you manage her aggressively for 48 to 72 hours

IF not a major improvement then it is time

Calcitriol

Potassium supplement

Antibiotics if needed

Antacids etc etc

Paul