Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I want to give my cat hyperthyroid medicine because I think…

Customer Question
I want to give...

I want to give my cat hyperthyroid medicine because I think she has it but I can’t afford a blood test what will happen if I give her thyroid support gold and she doesn’t need it?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your cat?

She urinates often, has greasy fur, eats a lot, vomits, not playful, her fur is also matted, “unkempt”

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is your cat's name and age?

Lorelei and we believe she is 3 or 4

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/16/2018
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 3 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

The ideal solution here is going to be seeking out financial aid and financing options to have bloodwork performed. A whole host of illnesses can cause frequent urination, greasy fur, increased appetite, vomiting, lethargy and an unkempt appearance. Additionally, hyperthyroidism is more common in cats over 13 years of age. It would be nearly unheard of for Lorelei to have this condition at 3-4 years. What's more, if you give her medication to bring her thyroid levels down you may wind up causing HYPOthyroidism which poses a whole list of OTHER problems. Medicating her on a suspicion is absolutely not how I'd approach this.

Instead, I'd look at finding funding for diagnostics to see what she might have. At her age, I would expect conditions like a UTI or kidney dysfunction more likely. Try these following organizations for financial help:

Red Rover: https://redrover.org/find-financial-assistance-veterinary-care

Best friends: http://bestfriends.org/resources/financial-aid-pets

AVMA: https://www.avma.org/public/YourVet/Pages/Financial-assistance-for-veterinary-care-costs.aspx

HSUS: http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_veterinary_care.html

PAWS: https://www.paws.org/cats-and-dogs/other-services/help-with-veterinary-bills/

Your dogs friend: http://yourdogsfriend.org/we-recommend/need-help-paying-vet-bills/

AFRP: https://www.animalfriendsrescue.org/financialassistance.html

Speaking for Spot: http://speakingforspot.com/?p=Financial%20Assistance%20for%20Veterinary%20Care

2 options for financing include www.carecredit.com and www.scratchpay.com. Both of these companies have low interest APR rates (starting at 5%) and allow you to pay for a vet bill over 6-24 months.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is your companion doing today? There's no extra charge to ask additional questions on the topic or update me on your companion's status.