Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Just brought our cat home on Monday. He is sneezing and eyes…

Just brought our cat...

Just brought our cat home on Monday. He is sneezing and eyes are watery. He likes under the beds. Too much dust?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?

Tom, 10 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tom?

I don't think so; I'm pretty new at having pets

3/16/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Congratulations on your new family member! No, not dust...if adopted from where other cats were found, his sneezing and epiphora (excessive tears due to an infectious conjunctivitis) are most often due to the the feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) - the most common of the infectious respiratory agents that causes the sneezing and conjunctivitis you're seeing. Thankfully, it usually goes into remission unaided within 1-3 weeks. The bacteria Mycoplasma and Chlamydophila can be found in conjunction with FHV-1 or as sole infecting agents but they, too, should go into remission unaided in that time frame. In the case in which my patient doesn't improve within the initial 10 days from the onset of symptoms, I'll prescribe the antibiotic of choice - doxycycline - to address those bacteria. The over the counter (available in some feed stores or online except in California) ophthalmic antibacterial ointment Terramycin is a good choice for a bacterial conjunctivitis. Antibiotics don't address viruses such as FHV-1 but I can prescribe the antiviral drug famciclovir if I believe that a serious case of FHV-1 is brewing.

As long as Tom continues eat, drink, and act normally in spite of his signs, he doesn't need to be attended to by his vet. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I checked his papers and he has had his FVRCP/IVERMECTIN vaccinations. But that is something else, right? He is suffering in his eyes. Is there anything I can do to help him? Saline on a cotton ball?

The FVR of the FVRCP is the feline herpesvirus (FHV-1). The vaccine is not completely protective. The C is calicivirus which is a concern but not as common as FHV-1. I don't know whay he was given ivermectin - for ear mites, perhaps? See if you can find Terramycin ophthalmic ointment in a feed store or online such as here: https://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9674/ A dab into each eye thrice daily for a minimum of 10 consecutive days will be helpful if either Mycoplasma or Chlamydophila are infecting his eyes. Meanwhile, yes, you can irrigate the eyes with an over the counter saline or artifical tear product found in your local drug store. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

The FVR of the FVRCP...

why, not whay

Thank you so much for your help!

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Will do! Thanks again!

It's my pleasure. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.