Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a stray I took in & had fully vetted. he has numerous…

I have a stray...

I have a stray I took in & had fully vetted. he has numerous bowel movements daily-large volume -stools are soft

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the stray cat's name and age?

Bill, approx. age estimate at 4-5 yo.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Bill?

Estimated 4-5yo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bill?

He's FIV+. His stools were fine until being treated for URI 3 months ago. That is when his bowel issues began. Used forte flora. He's been de-wormed x2-last fecal neg.

3/16/2018
CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian

Hi! I'mCustomerand I can help with your question.

These FIV kitties can be a particular challenge.

Do you have the name of the drug he was dewormed with the two times you mentioned?

Did your vet do any tests specifically for Giardia?

What do you feed him - brand and flavors of dry? Brand and flavors of canned? Cat treats? People food?

Oh and what medications was he given for his URI?

CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
de-wormed with Panacur-2 courses 3.5ml daily x3 days. given 2 weeks apart. stools firmed up for a while after dosing. last dose was 12/29/17.
he was also given Flagyl 250mg. and Famotidine 10mg. tabs this was also back in December 2017.
His was given Covenia injection initially back in 9/2017 when i brought him in for testing/neuter/vaccines. I know he was given amoxilcillin at some point but cannot find the vetting invoice. But it was the antibiotics that started the BM issue.
Phone call session started

It was nice chatting.

50 mg/kg fenbendazole once a day for 7 days is what I use for Giardia.

Hope he does okay.

Hi Sharon,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank You. I appreciate your advise. I've scheduled the cat for a vet visit friday-will be asking for the medication you suggested above for the 7days. I do hope this straightens him out. also ordered the RC sensitive stomach food you suggested from Chewy. Thanks so much!
Sharon

Good luck!

CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian