Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I put flea and tick medicine in my cat's ear by mistake. I…

I put flea and...

I put flea and tick medicine in my cat's ear by mistake. I flushed it the best I could. He's a semi-feral cat. What should I do? He's miserable.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is your cat's name and age?

I don't know his age. He was feral and I just had him neutered today.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?

They said he had ear mites and I had medication for that but I grabbed the wrong tube.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/16/2018
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan. Currently, I'm reviewing your question and will be back to you in a few minutes.

Can you tell me the name of the medication you put in his ear?

Is he miserable from the inappropriate flea/tick application or the ear mites?

Hart Ultra Pro
Hartz Ulta Guard Pro

Do you feel he's miserable b/c of the flea/tick application, or just because of his ear mites?

His ear is bothering him but he's eating

Thank you for the information I'll be right back with your answer.

I flushed it pretty well and it's very clean.

Placing the product in the ear (as long as his eardrum is not damaged) will not cause a major problem. It is meant to be applied to the skin and the inside of the ear is basically skin. So it should not cause permanent damage. If it seems to irritate his ear badly then you did what is the most important, which is flushing it out with water. If the product seems to be annoying him then wash it again with dilute dawn (degreasing) dish soap which will remove the remainder of the product then flush out the ear once more. So you should not have caused long-term problems and don't need to do anything more as long as he's comfortable. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions, if it did help, please leave a rating. Dr. Dan

Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian
Thank you.