Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a 10-year-old female American shorthair. Winnie

Customer Question
weighs about 15 lbs. For...
I have a 10-year-old female American shorthair. Winnie weighs about 15 lbs. For 8 years getting her nails trimmed was not a problem....she underwent a trauma unknow origin.Any attempt to have a groomer cut her nails results in Winnie turning into a bobcat. She hisses, twists violently and attempts to claw and bite. She was pilled with 10 mg of acepromazine, 2 hours later, clearly under the effect of the drug, her gait was steady and she was able to jump 3 feet from the floor to the top of my printer. My question is can an obese, 10-year-old female in good health safely handle 20mg of acepromazine given by mouth?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/16/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How long did the 10 mg of acepromazine last for?

about 3.5 hours

Okay thanks for the additional information. Is she on any other medications currently? Based on her weight, 20 mg would be too high of a dose of acepromazine for a cat. The maximum dose based on her weight would be 15 mg of acepromazine. If that medication is not working, you can ask your veterinarian about a medication called Gabapentin. This can help relax some aggressive cats during grooming. I have used it on my cat who doesn't like to be groomed as well.