Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a 10-year-old female American shorthair. Winnie

Customer Question
weighs about 15 lbs. For...
I have a 10-year-old female American shorthair. Winnie weighs about 15 lbs. For 8 years getting her nails trimmed was not a problem....she underwent a trauma unknow origin.Any attempt to have a groomer cut her nails results in Winnie turning into a bobcat. She hisses, twists violently and attempts to claw and bite. She was pilled with 10 mg of acepromazine, 2 hours later, clearly under the effect of the drug, her gait was steady and she was able to jump 3 feet from the floor to the top of my printer. My question is can an obese, 10-year-old female in good health safely handle 20mg of acepromazine given by mouth?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/16/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How long did the 10 mg of acepromazine last for?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
about 3.5 hours

Okay thanks for the additional information. Is she on any other medications currently? Based on her weight, 20 mg would be too high of a dose of acepromazine for a cat. The maximum dose based on her weight would be 15 mg of acepromazine. If that medication is not working, you can ask your veterinarian about a medication called Gabapentin. This can help relax some aggressive cats during grooming. I have used it on my cat who doesn't like to be groomed as well.

Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian