Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I found a cat about a year ago, took her to the vet who said…

Hi, I found a cat...
Hi, I found a cat about a year ago, took her to the vet who said she was very old and she was very skinny. Mainecoon only weighed 5 pounds, she had symptoms of Hyperthyroidism and also found out that she had Kidney Disease. The Vet recommended not spending money on tests due to her old age and offered to just put her on Methamazole and he said if it works we know she has hyperthyroidism. So it seemed to work except for the excessive drinking and peeing which may have been the kidney disease? He said a kidney food diet would be sufficient for now. So we did the methamazole BID. Her appetite suffered a bit on the BID dosing. She also started to urinate on my kids beds. Last week we were waiting for her meds in the mail so we gave her one dose a day and she was having diarrhea on and off for weeks even on 2 doses and vomited only once, vomited a hair ball with some food. She started peeing on my kids beds She still only weighed 5 pounds skin and bones over the year we had her despite eating 2 cans of wet food a day. Took her back to the vet to see if we should just put her to sleep since she was skin and bones and I couldn’t deal with cleaning up all the urine on the beds and diarrhea. Vet offered to give her a steroid shot to make her feel better, then he reconsidered saying it may be time to put her to sleep because we would probably be back in with her in 2 weeks. I feel so guilty.
We put her to sleep and now i have researched and found out we could have done blood tests to get her methamazole dosing just right. I think she may have been 14-15years old. She was still eating and drinking copious amounts. Seeking love, following me around the house, jumping on the bed and sleeping on the bed. I feel like I should have done more for her. I feel like I should’ve done more tests and I just gave up :(
3/15/2018
CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian

Hi! I'mCustomerand I can help with your question.

Please don't beat yourself up about this. Fluffy had two medical conditions that, when they occur together, are one of our biggest therapeutic challenges.

The problem arises when we put a hyperthyroid cat onto methimazole. As it regulates the thyroid hormone excess, it also reduces blood pressure and therefore reduced renal perfusion (blood flow through the kidneys). If those kidneys are already nor running very well, we've just completely knocked the props out from under them.

So the more tightly we try to regulate the thyroid (so they gain weight and don't have vomiting and diarrhea), the worse we are making the kidney function. We have to settle for only partly controlling the thyroid, or else we do better with the thyroid but then the kidneys really start to tan.

It's very challenging and with these cats I am always walking a tightrope. Eventually one problem or the other gets to the point where it kills them.

So in your case, more tests would have just moved more of your money into your vet's bank account. I doubt you could have bought her any additional time.

*tank

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much I have been crying atleast once every day feeling like I could have done more for her. Your answer has helped me feel a bit better about laying her to rest. I’m sure she didn’t feel very good with her medical problems and weight at only 5pounds :(

YVW, happy to help.

Kidney failure in humans is really miserable, so we assume it also is in dogs and cats. They feel rotten at the end. So you really did the right thing. I am always relieved when owners let me put cats THAT sick to sleep.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or need further clarification.

When you are through, please rate my response so I can be credited with helping you.

BTW it's normal and healthy to cry. It's how we get rid of all the built-up stress chemicals from all that worrying over time.

CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Aww bless your heart, thanks again really. You have really helped me. I didn’t know how I would get over the guilt. I will definitely give my rating so you will get credit for the help you have given me. Take care :)

Well that's what I'm here for. Take care and now you did right by her while you had her.

Hi Amy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Fluffy. How is everything going?

CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian