Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I believe she has a broken front leg...its really swollen…

I believe she has...

I believe she has a broken front leg...its really swollen and her paw is kind of hanging there like its broke

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?

Mia she's 2

3/15/2018
CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian

Hi! I'mCustomerand I can help with your question.

Does Mia go outside or is she a 100% indoor cat?

When did you last see her that the leg was normal?

She is an indoor cat...my daughter told me last night she had her paw stuck in the window so it happened last night...This morning I noticed the swelling and that her paw was kind of hanging there making me believe it is broke

Can you get a photo of it and attach it here for me to have a peek at?

Okay, let me have a peek and then I can commet

Ouch!

And is she non-weightbearing on it?

No she is not

Let me rephrase that for clarity.

Can she put weight on it?

I have not seen her bear any weight on it...like i said its just kind of hanging there and i have seen her bear absolutely no weight on it...I was petting her and she was getting up and purring and it touched the ground a little but she put no weight on it and it didnt flatten out it just dangled there

It's definitely time for a trip to the vet to get an x-ray or two and probably a splint.

We have a saying in veterinary medicine - orthopedics in cats consists largely of rest. IOW we don't do a lot of surgery for fractures in cats. Because we have another saying: Put two cat bones in the same room and they'll heal together.

That said, sometimes you have a mess with multiple fragments, or maybe a joint is involved, and I cannot make that determination. Only a vet looking at the real live cat AND x-rays can.

So with luck it will be very simple and not horrifically expensive.

Poor baby. That's gotta be really painful.

Her youth is also in her favor. Younger cats with fractures can heal amazingly fast.

Ok i guess my question is I live very far out of town and away from the vet. Will she be ok for a couple days untill I get her there? Right now i have her locked in a room away from the dogs with her food water and litter box. She has been laying on the bed. Is there anything I can giver her for pain?

I do not recommend waiting two days. Inflammatory and cellular changes start to take place, making fracture reduction (putting things straight) much more problematic with each passing day. So outcome can be much worse with even a little bit of delay. Sometimes the misalignment compromises blood supply to the distal limb and delay could theoretically even turn this into an amputation.

Tomorrow would be fine, but beyond that I wouldn't wait.

There are no safe household pain meds for cats. They are all very toxic to them.

Should I attempt to splint it tonight or bandage it or anything?

No, you could actually make things worse. Just let her rest and she will protect it.

CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian

Good luck and let me know how this turns out. You can bookmark this chat window and return to add a comment.