Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Years ago my cat had a black fungus in his ears. My vet at…

Years ago my cat...

Years ago my cat had a black fungus in his ears. My vet at first thought it was from ear mites. Upon removing some and inspecting it under a microscope, no mites nor eggs were found. My vet then told me it was caused by the dry food I was feeding him - Casey. He told me what kind of dry food to buy, which I did, and sure enough the black matter went away, never to return. I had Casey for another 10 years after that, with no problem.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infestations your cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name?

Sorry, I wasn't finished typing. My question now is, do you have any idea what the dry food was Dr Sugaski in AZ told me to feed Casey? My neighbor is having the same problem and I'm trying to help her. All tests on her cat have come back negative, but food was never mentioned.

3/15/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Dr. Sugaski thought that the "black fungus" arose secondary to food intolerance and recommended a food that he/she though would be hypoallergenic for Casey. There are many that could have worked and may work for your neighbor's cat. Food intolerance/allergy is best addressed with prescription hypoallergenic diets. These special foods contain just one novel (rabbit, duck, e.g.) animal protein or proteins that have been chemically altered (hydrolyzed) to the point that a cat's immune system doesn't "see" anything to be allergic to. The over the counter hypoallergenic foods too often contain proteins not listed on the label - soy is a common one - and these proteins would confound our evaluation of the efficacy of the hypoallergenic diet. The prescription foods are available from her vet. There are many novel protein foods and a prototypical hydrolyzed protein food is Hill’s Prescription Diet z/d ultra (a hydrolyzed protein diet is my preference because it avoids the possibility of my patient being intolerant to even a novel protein). A positive response is usually seen within a few weeks if we’ve eliminated the offending food allergen. Food intolerance can arise at any age and even after our patient has been eating the same food for quite some time.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I appreciate the time spent on answering my question. However, I still don't know what it is allergic to. You mentioned something about soy. I am a bit confused as to the meaning of some big words.
Are you saying soy could be the culprit? I did not need to by special prescription diet food for Casey, the Vet gave me a specific brand and type. Again, do you think it is soy?

The most common systemic allergies that can cause reactive ears (erythema/redness +/- that black discharge) are food intolerance and atopy (allergies to environmental allergens such as pollens, molds, dust, and dust mites, etc.). The most common offending food allergens are beef, chicken, corn, wheat, eggs, and soy. It was fortunate that the food chosen for Casey turned out to be hypoallergenic for him. That food might not be hypoallergenic for your neighbor's dog, however. Please continue our conversation if you wish. Don't hesitate to have me explain anything you don't understand.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian