Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Our cat, Omar, a 9yr 7mo old Persian died this morning.

Our cat, Omar, a...

Our cat, Omar, a 9yr 7mo old Persian died this morning. Despite his age he seemed perfectly healthy. He let out a very distressed sound that woke us from sleep at 5:30am. We found him gasping his last couple labored breaths. Does this *sound* like a heart attack?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help Omar. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Omar?

We're just trying to figure out what could have causef this. He gave no signs prior to his death.

3/15/2018
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. First of all, let me say how sorry I am to hear of your less. That must have been an extreme shock to you. As far as the cause, the most common cause for something like this would be a heart issue, most commonly in his breed would have been hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM). This can be hard to pick up on physical exam, because they can appear to be completely normal with this disease. They don't always have a heart murmur to clue you in on this.

Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Cat Veterinarian
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Cat Veterinarian