Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I will likely be taking our cat to a specialist for his

I will likely be taking...
I will likely be taking our cat Arnold to a specialist for his asthma issues. He stresses and gets nervous or scared during car rides and at the Vet by meowing and walking around and breathing heavier which can cause a flare up. Is there anything safe to guve him to calm him? I've tried pheromone spray but doesn't help.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/15/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Hi Georgina...there's nothing over the counter of value for your purposes. I'll dose cats with either the true tranquilizer acepromazine or a benzodiazepine such as clonazepam, alprazolam, or clorazepate. Do you happen to have such a drug at home? They're all prescription drugs.

Once I get home I can check but I don't believe so. Are any of the things you mentioned something the Vet can give me to give to him before coming for the next visit?

Yes, acepromazine for sure. The benzodiazepines probably not.

Good ol' Arnie...who has gained some weight!

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Ya want to try if possible to get him off steroids if possible since they give him increased appetite.

Inhaled steroids should have less of that effect. Thank you once again, Georgina.

I have decided to wait to take Arnold for a follow up at my Vet cause I'm trying this bronchial wellness herbal remedy someone in the black cat appreciation group that I belong to suggested. This is just day 2 so to early to tell but he seems a little better. I just don't want to stress him with a Vet visit if not needed and trigger an asthma flare up.

Georgina, I'm a died-in-the-wool allopath. Perhaps a naturopathic vet on this site has information on that product and if it has value when addressing asthma. Mea culpa.

Ya I figured you couldn't give advice on the product was just giving you an update. I may still eventually bring him to a specialist. I just want to try and minimize car rides to the Vet since they get him so stressed.

I understand. I don't want to see you wasting money on unproven remedies.