Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Well, he is 17 and has recently in the last month been more

Customer Question

Well, he is 17 and has recently in the last month been more tired and eating and drinking little and when he urinates it is brown but he gets around ok
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Mex
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mex?
Customer: He has always been a friskie boy
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Scott Perry replied 8 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Mex is acting lethargic and not eating or drinking normally, and the urine is appearing brown in color. Is that a correct summary of the situation?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Thank you. These symptoms can be caused by a few different things. The brown urine may be related to very concentrated urine, which can be normal in cats, but it can also be caused by significant dehydration, which is not normal. A brown pigment could also be from blood in the urine that is slipping through the kidneys. Dehydration or kidney disease would correlate with the lethargy and a lack of appetite or drinking that was reported. A blood and urine panel would be the best next step to find out what is going on. In the meantime, my recommendation is to offer a canned food diet to encourage water intake, give water (or Pedialyte) through a syringe if you have one, and try to give a 1/4 tablet of Pepcid to treat nausea.

Does that help to answer your question?

Hello? are we still connected?