Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Blood test results are a bit worrying. We have 2 cats. Both…

Blood test results are...

Blood test results are a bit worrying

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?

We have 2 cats. Both appear to be well albeit Tuna has some fur loss. Sushi had conjunctivitis. My cat maniac friend said get their blood tested for peace of mind.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your cat seem to hurt?

They are not in pain. I have the print off of the results. How can I send these through to be assessed by a vet?

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?

Not without seeing the blood test results apart from we have a 3rd cat with FIV who lives outside and doesn't really interact with the other 2 cats I'm concerned about

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago

I was not given the option to enter another number other than in the US. Please call me on ********

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Why are the upload attachment files so limited? I cannot access my gallery which has the documents.
I am also disappointed in this service.
I have been given an estimated wsit time of 8 minutes, 10 minutes ago and it's still showing 8 minutes!
3/15/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You can upload files by scanning them into your computer and then posting the link to them or you can photograph them and send them as images by using the paperclip icon or add file icon above your message box - if you can see such icons. If you still need help please contact customer service at ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us or 1-***-***-****.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Wow, I have paid for a service, was given an estimated wait time of 8 minutes 19 hours ago!
I have already provided an explanation and NO feedback what soever!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have requested a call but your system only allows for a US number, I am in Thailand

Please give me a moment to review those files for you...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sure

You have nicely normal cats. A human lab ran the complete blood count and the machine isn't calibrated for cat blood. Regardless, the descrepancies aren't significant. The machine platelet counts aren't accurate due to platelet clumping and size in cats. The chemistries referable to kidneys and liver are unremarkable. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your feedback. Should I insist for a urinary test or blood pressure test?
The vets have asked me to put them on an IV srip of saline under the skin for the next 5 days, I requested to do at home as less stressful for the cats.
they have also asked for me to continue the medication for 5 days too - doxycline and also iron & folic acid supplement
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How about the BUN and creatine levels - should I be worried?
Was the first test on 2nd March from a 'human' lab or vets lab?

I always like to perform a complete urinalysis as part of a diagnostic panel. Blood pressure assessment isn't indicated in asymptomatic cats less than 10 years of age. Why in the world were supplemental fluids, doxycycline, iron and folic acid prescribed for normal cats? Regretfully, the quality of veterinary medicine where you are is poor. As mentioned above, "The chemistries referable to kidneys and liver are unremarkable." Neither date's chemistries alarm me. How old are your cats, please? Are they demonstrating any worrisome signs?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK, thank you. We are based in Thailand and these are the best vets we have in the area. The others are SCARYLY bad! :(
They are showing NO signs.
I took Tuna in as he has small patches of fur missing and it's not growing back and Sushi had conjunctivitis which has now cleared up.
Sushi did lose .35 gms in weight (usually 3.75Kgs, dropped to 3.4Kgs, but I believe he is now back up again).
They are both 3 years old
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There are NO worrying signs at all and as I think I said in my initial message/post, I had no concerns on their health, it was a suggestion from my friend who is a mad cat lover and her 5 year old died from Leukaemia despite having all the vaccinations.

Thank you for the additional information. Unless significant worrisome signs appear, I would avoid bringing your cats to vets who are likely to do more harm than good. Feel free to check with me should anything worrisome come up in the future.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Wow. OK, thank you. So you don't feel there is any need to have the urine tested at this stage?Can I just ask why you aren't concerned with the creatine levels as these were showing as high OR is this because it's being analysed at a human level vs cat level?Thank you for the information as this is very stressful when I thought the cats were healthy and putting drips into them has been very stressful.Is there any possibility that care could be different because we are in a tropical country?Thank you Dr Michael.

I don't, no. Frankly, I'm circumspect that the vet knows how to obtain urine in a sterile manner and perform a complete urinalysis. Correct, unless the creatinine is performed on a machine calibrated for cat blood, we can't be worried by those values. Note that both cats show elevations and the likelihood of both suffering from renal insufficiency is very low.

Certainly...as I've alluded to previously. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Nope, I am all good and just wish I used this service before putting my cats through unneccessary stress :(

You're quite welcome. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian