Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I think my hamster has a tumor on his stomach. His name is…

I think my hamster...

I think my hamster has a tumor on his stomach

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is your hamster's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** i bought him in February of 2017

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chubbers?

No. I just Came home from college and my brother has been taking care of him. I cleaned his cage yesterday and then just noticed the lumps today

3/15/2018
Heath Wilkerson

HI Dr. W here. I'm sorry to hear this. Is Chubbers eating and drinking normally?

He is drinking normally, but eating is a minimum. I just Fed him and he was eating a little bit.

Okay it's good that he's still eating and drinking. From what I can see in the picture these don't look infected, but they could still be causing a problem. They are originating from his abdomen and not his scrotum right?

Correct. I held Him up and had my dad look and it is in his abdomen. I’m going to call the local animal hospital tomorrow and I’m hoping they can help without much cost.

Small rodents do commonly develop different types of masses. These are not necessarily cancerous though. They could very well be benign. Is there a vet nearby that you can take him to to take a closer look at them and possibly even look at one under the microscope?

Ok great! That's a good idea. If your vet feels they are just benign, you will just need to eatch them and keep them from becoming infected.

Hi, I'm checking in to see how things are going? Please remember to press RATE OUR CONVERSATION in the top right hand corner of the post--f you don't I will not receive credit for having helped you. Thanks!

Heath Wilkerson