Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Sneezing, some times a little blood in sneeze, drinking lots…

Sneezing, some times a...

Sneezing, some times a little blood in sneeze, drinking lots of water, lethargic, eating well, loss of weight

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name and age?

Meow meow age almost 2

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Meow meow

3/15/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I understand your concern about Meow Meow's bloody sneezes, lethargy, weight loss despite him eating well, and drinking lots of water. Any cat sick enough to lose weight is likely to be lethargic, he is conserving calories by resting.

When we see weight loss with an apparently normal or increased appetite we need to worry about disease processes that either don't allow him to digest and/or absorb the food he is taking (such as diabetes, liver disease, primary intestinal or pancreatic disease including cancers) or those that lead to a higher metabolic rate such as hyperthyroidism or cancer.

If he were an an older cat the more common diseases we see include hyperthyroidism (a tumor of the thyroid gland that overproduces thyroid hormones) or cancer (lymphoma is one that also leads to increased water consumption).

Since he is drinking more and urinating a tremendous amount, diabetes is possible. Sometimes with diabetes we can see secondary infections linger. In his case that may be a bacterial infection in his nose secondary to a viral upper respiratory infection or a tooth root infection.

I would also be concerned about a fungal infection too. These can cause nasal bone destruction, so we see nasal bleeds and affect his metabolism as he works to fight the infection off.

While cancer is less common in young cats we can see lymphoma at any age, so while he is young, it is possible.

Has he had any testing done to achieve a diagnosis?

Ideally he should have a complete blood count and biochemistry profile with T-4 checked as well as a urinalysis. Radiographs of his nose and scoping to obtain samples for culture and look for a tumor or fungal plaques.

In the meantime while you are waiting for test results you might try feeding him a higher calorie prescription food called Hills a/d or Iams Maximum Calorie from your veterinarian and make sure he has access to plenty of fresh, clean water.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He goes to vet tomorrow he is always a cuddly cat even more so now. He just does not seem like himself at all he had what we thought was a cold both our cats had it out other cat got better but meow meow seem like he can't fight it so I'm concerned he drinks tons of water and lays on his favorite chair all day and night the last few days. He has lost weight I'm feeding him extra and giving him chick
Ken.

I'm sorry to hear that your fellow just cannot seem to kick this. That is truly concerning.

Given that this started with a respiratory infection and he has seemingly just gotten sicker I am worried he has an immunosuppressive virus like feline leukemia or feline immunodeficiency virus, either of which could suppress his immune system and not let it work the way it should. He should be tested for these viruses, even if he has tested negative in the past.

I am glad he will see his veterinarian tomorrow, please let me know how things go for him and what they find.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
New development with meow meow blood in stool.

I am sorry to hear that Meow Meow has blood in his stool. The amount of bleeding determines how concerned we need to be.

That can be related to parasites, secondary bacterial gastroenteritis (particularly common in cats with immunosuppressive viruses), exposure to anticoagulant rodenticides, infiltrative cancer, or systemic fungal infections.

Please let me know what his veterinarian finds today.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your kitty. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian