Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She might have eaten some of a baby mouse she caught and has…

Hi! She might have...

Hi! She might have eaten some of a baby mouse she caught and has been sleeping a lot and not eating since -- this was about three days ago

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?

Jasper!

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/15/2018
CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian

Hi! I'm CalCatDoc and I can help with your question.

How old is Jasper?

Is she 100% indoors or an in/out cat?

When were her most recent vaccinations?

Has she had any coughing, sneezing, vomiting, or diarrhea recently?

How is Jasper doing today?

Do you still need assistance?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello!
Some answers to your questions - thought I had sent last night but doesn't look like they went through.
I believe she is between 3-4 years old.
She's about 70/30 indoor to outdoor. The older she gets, the less she goes outside.
She's had her vaccinations within the last year.
She threw up once the day after she ate some of the mouse. She hasn't touched her food since!
I got her to drink some water and she's at least been walking around today, but I'm worried that she's not eating.

Sometimes posts here vanish into the ether. Not to worry.

As I'm sure you know, eating small prey animals is actually part of cats' normal biology. That said, they can sometimes get an upset tummy from eating them. And if a rat or mouse they eat has been poisoned, that poison chemical passes on th the cat and can make them very ill.

Cats who eat prey can also of course get random "normal" illnesses, too, that have nothing to do with eating prey.

Since her symptoms are so vague, and since she hasn't eaten well for at least 3 days, we do have to at this point worry about medical complications of simply not eating (liver failure can result from as little as 3 days off food in the cat). She also may be dehydrated.

The laundry list of medical possibilities here (for a cat not eating) is extremely long, so I can't really speculate much about what is really going on. She may very well have a fever and be dealing with a bacterial or viral infection.

So at this point I have to recommend you make an appointment for your local vet to see her ASAP. In the meantime, keep her 100% indoors, continue to encourage her to eat and drink, and maybe try some turkey or chicken baby food or Fancy Feast Classic canned (turkey or chicken or beef flavors - NO FISH).

I am encouraged that she has not continued to vomit, or developed diarrhea.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sounds good! Thank you so much!

YVW, happy to help!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or need further clarification. And feel free to post an update here in a couple of days. You can bookmark the chat window for easy return.

When you are finished, please rate my response so I can be credited with helping you.

Good luck with Miss Jasper.

CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian