Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

This is a feral cat, he was bit by something about a week…

Customer Question
This is a feral...

This is a feral cat, he was bit by something about a week ago. then 2 days later he had big chuncks of his cheek missing, I noticed a hole, I did research on how to treat it and I put some antibiotic ointment and I kept waching it every day for 23 days with oxigen peroside and putting the ointment. the wound healed and everythign appeared to ebe good. But now he has been sick for 2 days and he has a massive absess there, it is super swollen. I called a few veterinarians to see if I can get an emergency drain but they want to charge me $400

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is the cat bleeding a lot?

It is not my cat. I do own 3 cats and I have spent a good $20k in medical treatments in the past 5 years. I do not have that kind of budget for this one. He is not bleeding he is lethargic and his left cheek is super swollen and tender I wanted to give him benadryl and sedate him open the wound darin it, wash it with saline and put iodine and a little drain and a topical antibiotic and take him tomorrow to a non for profit clinic

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

I call him Tito as in Gatito in spanish

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tito?

He constantly has eye mucus

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
I would like to know if I can get some sedation over the counter and what dosage. I will try to sterilize somethign to cut him a little and drain that and wash it with saline and then iodine. then put antibiotic ointment. Put a drain cord and then a bandage and tomorrow mornign I take him to a non for profit clinic so they give him antibiotic and finish the procedure.I am afraid if I do nothig he will have scepsis and die.
The cheek is huge and super tender.
I am very familiar with the procedure of drainign an abcess, I was used as translator for 5 differnet people in hospitals and clinics when they needed that done. I know how they do the cros pattern cut, they carefully drain the pus, hen wash it with a solution and then put a drain cord. I connaot inject anythign because I would not know hot =w to do ti, but I think for tonight some treatment is better than nothing.
3/15/2018
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 5 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?