Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She is having problems breathing, looks dehydrated and is…

She is having problems...

She is having problems breathing, looks dehydrated and is very sluggish. She is a ragdoll about 12years old and 11lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. It could be an infection. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?

Jabuki is her name. 12 year old Ragdoll aprox 11lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Jabuki?

11 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jabuki?

She is an indoor/outdoor cat on farm

3/14/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

How long has this been going on for?

What is breathing rate?

Open mouth breathing ever?

Gums pink?

Paul

sometimes her mouth is open to breath

Okay thanks

This is one time that I have to recommend that you have her examined

This breed gets problems with their hearts- cardiomyopathy and we also have to consider fluid in the chest cavity

They will want to take chest x-rays and maybe ultrasound the heart

Can you take her in?

Paul

No I am at work and cant leave. The only med. I have is draxxin. Would this help
I cant afford to take her to the vet for all the tests that would be required or to get time off to do so

No that will not help

There is not too much you can do for her at home

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Any suggestions other than vet?

I dont know if this is cardiomyopathy or pleural effusiion or pneumonis etc etc

Either way there is nothing you can do at home

I am sorry

Paul

Ok thank you