Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has a severe rodent ulcer. started her on atopica.

My cat has a...

My cat has a severe rodent ulcer. started her on atopica. can I also use lysine 250 mg cat treats and a colloidal spray for her mouth sore and am I able to use a electrolyte spray on her food

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is your cat's name and age?

Baby girl and she 8 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?

She has had a steroid shot and has taken some ammoxcylin

3/14/2018
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. The lysine and colloidal silver spray should be fine. There aren't any toxicity issues I would worry about there. I would be a little more reluctant about the electrolyte spray just because it is entirely possible it could cause blood electrolyte abnormalities, depending on what the actual ingredients are. If she is eating normally and eating a good quality cat food, an electrolyte spray wouldn't really serve a purpose because all her daily recommended electrolyte needs are in the food. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

if the atopica does not work after a period of time and I stop using it how long would it be to use the electrolyte spray to help her immune system

There is no time frame. It can be used with it or just after stopping the Atopica. I would give the Atopica a few weeks to work, though. Please let me know if you have other concerns.

I am trying to get more information on more natural medications because I do not like the steroid shots

I agree. I try to avoid steroid shots at all cost. Omega 3 fatty acids supplements are actually a good idea for this. I haven't used it personally, but I have heard of a product called Eosinophilic Granuloma Sarcode that seems to have some good reviews from others. I wouldn't use these alone without conventional treatment, so I would keep her on the Atopica. Also, make sure she is on a good flea preventative every month, even if she is indoor only, and you haven't seen fleas (in many cases you do not see them in cats). Most of these rodent ulcer issues end up being a flea allergy issue. Lastly, it probably helps more for chin acne, but if she is eating or drinking from plastic bowls, I would change to a stainless steel or ceramic bowl. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

she did have stomatitis a couple years back and had her back teeth removed and the atopica cleared everything up now this has appeared I do use stainless steel feeding bowl. I will keep using the atopica thank for your time and information

You are welcome. The Atopica usually works well for me. I have had some cases where it did not completely clear up the ulcer, but may it at least 75% better. Let me know if you need anything else.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian