Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has been ignoring his food lately. For 2 days now. So…

Hello, so my cat...

Hello, so my cat has been ignoring his food lately. For 2 days now.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?

Ok so heres the deal, My cat is 1 year and 1 month old, so I moved him over from kitten food to cat crunchy. I took a handful of adult food and mixed it with his kitten crunchy. He wanted nothing to do with it. So, I just poured him a bowl of the kitten crunchy that he has eaten for the past year and he now wants nothing to do with that bleu is his name

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know if your kitten will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your kitten?

Oh your a robot

3/14/2018
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

How is his activity level?

What color are his gums?

Does his abdomen seem distended?

He is absolutely normal other than not eating his food. He eats treats, drinks water, plays. Normal cat stuff. Just will not eat, I tried canned food, pouched food, different adult cat food, different kitten food.
His gums are pink and black, wet.
His belly has always seemed a little big. almost like he is just a tad fat. But this is also my first long hair so maybe that is the difference im seeing idk.
1, maybe 2 variants.
The day before I noticed that he wasnt eating I gave him dried cat nip.
Also, I cant confirm it but yesterday i noticed he was hanging out somewhere new, we did just rearrange the first floor of the home so maybe thats why, but, he may have gotten into a ivy plant. I didnt see any missing leaves or chew marks, but he was hanging out right by it. And like i said he still eats dry treats with no hesitation

Thanks for the information. Sometimes these cats can be very finicky about diet changes and can be difficult to deal with if it goes wrong. I would try using some canned tuna or salmon at first. If he seems to like that, try mixing a little of the crunchy in that he likes (or used to like). If those were the only two diets you had tried, I would tell you to try a canned food first, but it sounds like you have tried a variety of different adult and kitten cat foods, correct? Make sure you have tried them by themselves and not with either of the two original foods (the kitten or adult). They may now associate that aroma with some something they don't like. If you were mixing with either of the other two foods, I would just do a completely different one by itself. I would even ask your vet if they have some canned A/d, which is usually very odorous and appealing to cats. You can try using some Feliway around the food. It is a synthetic cat pheromone that relieves anxiety. You can even try a little catnip over the food if he seemed to like that. From what you have been saying, this is most likely a behavioral issue, but there is a slight possibility that there may be something medical going on, so if none of this is working, I would definitely have your vet check him out. It is possible that this could be an anxiety issue that may require some anti-anxiety medication until he is doing better or an appetite stimulant. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. John