Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I got My cat neutered on Friday. He’s had vomiting and

Customer Question
I got My cat...

I got My cat neutered on Friday. He’s had vomiting and diarrhea since. He was vaccinated for rabies, dabs distemper as well. His incision is fin, he’s eating, no blood in vomit or stool

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?

Nothing I’m aware of

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is your cat's name and age?

Cheddar, 8 months. He’s acting normally and seems happy and energetic, just throwing up every few hours and frequent diarrhea

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cheddar?

I dont Think so

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/14/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 1 month ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with a reply, shortly.

Hello, again.

I'm so sorry Cheddar is not feeling well.

It's possible that he's having a reaction to the vaccinations, or he has an infection due to the surgery or just being in the vet's office.

Have you called your vet to report these symptoms? If not, do that now and in the meantime, add some boiled white rice to his food or add some plain canned pumpkin (not pie filling) or pumpkin, yellow squash or sweet potato Stage 1 infant jarred baby food containing NO onion or garlic products. Beechnut Stage 1 is a good one. You can also substitute his regular food for baby food meat varieties, like chicken or beef. Keep him on a bland diet and you can mix the rice with the baby food. Serve small portions every few hours.

In addition, add some clear, unflavored Pedialyte to his water (50/50 mixture) or dropper feed him the mixed Pedialyte from the side of the mouth, slowly. He's losing fluids every time he vomits and/or has diarrhea and can become dehydrated, if he's not, already.

You can get some Fortiflora for kittens/cats in a pet supply store or at your vet's office and sprinkle some of that on his food, according to directions. It's a probiotic that also helps the immune system and stops diarrhea. Here is more information:

https://www.proplanveterinarydiets.com/products/fortiflora-cats-probiotics/

-----------

If he was put on any antibiotics during or after the neutering, this, too, could upset his intestinal system.

If his symptoms don't stop, you'll need to have him seen by the vet in person, to get a diagnosis and treatment.

I hope all will be well with Cheddar!

Your satisfaction is my primary goal. If you need any additional information, please let me know by replying. If you found my answer helpful, please rate with five stars, located in the upper right hand corner of your page. We can still communicate after you rate, so don't worry that we will be cut off, etc. Thank you so much!

Best regards,

Cher

Hello, again.

I'm just checking in to see how Cheddar is doing. Was he seen by the vet? If not, have his symptoms subsided? I hope he's feeling much better!

Please let me know if you found my answer helpful. If you need any additional information, just click 'reply,' and I'd be happy to continue our conversation.

Thanks,

Cher

Cher
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist