Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My abyssinian has been getting what look like cramps. He…

My abyssinian has been...

My abyssinian has been getting what look like cramps. He holds up a leg, has trouble walking, staggers around, occasionally falls, lies on his side with one leg pulled up close to his body. He definitely appreciates getting a massage of his belly and in a few minutes shows no other symptoms. Seems stomach/digestion related?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did your cat have a fall?

No. He walks fine the rest of the time and jumps up to the kitchen counter, via an intermediary trash can, without any problem

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is your cat's name and age?

Luc. 10-11 yrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Luc?

Abyssinian with CKD (Chronic Kidney Disease)

It has been more than 20 minutes?
3/14/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share video of the episodes you're witnessing?

Possibly, I have been trying to figure out how to upload...

There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like http://www.imgur.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them. If you are located in the USA and texting pictures/video would be preferable, please let me know. There is an additional charge for this service but it can take the guesswork out of trying to get information back to me and facilitate a faster response.

https://youtu.be/giZ4Njawmf4

What an adorable fellow! <3 He's so handsome.

Is it the front left limb you're seeing in the video?

When did Luc last have a full panel of bloodwork performed?

This time he is holding up his left front leg. In previous incidents, he has drawn up one of his rear legs (both, at different times). In his recent blood work there was evidence of a type of white blood cell that indicates an allergy or a parasite? We have checked for fleas but found nothing, a fecal test was clean, and he was given a dose for tapeworm. That is all I know about his blood work.

Given his age and the way you're describing these episodes, I do think it would be wise to put Luc on a joint supplement for good measure as similar symptoms can be witnessed in cats with arthritis. http://www.glycoflex.com are my favorite as they are popular with cats and most cats will eat them like treats. They're safe to be used with cats with CKD, as well. I would also suggest talking to your vet about recheck bloodwork (especially if this has begun happening since the last bloodwork panel was run) to check for elevated kidney enzymes, his glucose level, electrolytes imbalance, etc. which can cause staggering/falling. I also don't think that mild seizure activity could be ruled out, which might be connected to the CKD depending on how severe it is. For good measure, I do think that you should begin logging the date, time, duration and a description of the episodes as you see them (noting which leg is effected, as well) to share with your vet in the future. I don't believe that this has a digestive link, but you could certainly try adding in probiotics to balance gut flora (like fortiflora for cats: https://www.proplanveterinarydiets.com/products/fortiflora-cats-probiotics/) to see if this helps. If you do see any GI symptoms like nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, etc. these would all be strong indicators that Luc needed to see your vet for diagnostics. With his history of CKD, we'd certainly want to err on the side of caution before giving medication at home which might worsen his status.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy