Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat's chin is swollen, and has some scabbing but feels…

My cat's chin is...

My cat's chin is swollen, and has some scabbing but feels like a mass. It doesn't appear to bother her unless a lot of pressure is put on it

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is your cat's name and age?

Nymeria, almost 2 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Nymeria

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Nymeria?

She has had a few cases where her upper lip gets swollen, we've taken her to a vet about 3 times to get an antibiotic for the swelling but this is not the same issue she has had before

3/14/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

Can you send me a photo of the chin?

Paul

Got it

Give me a minute

Paul

This is the swelling on the chin that is not red and NOT the reddish line below that right?

Paul

The swelling is the red where his hand is and extends to the side of her mouth. She has been scratching at it a bit.

Phew!

Thought I was going crazy LOL

Big picture-> We are likely dealing with an underlying food allergy->Hence all the issues in the past

I would switch to prescription Venison and rice canned food

This should not only fix the existing problem but prevent it from happening again

Make sense?

Paul

it makes sense. I am sure it may be difficult to say what specifically she would be allergic to, but do you think it's more of a brand issue, or possibly an allergy to a grain? I have 2 sister cats and they have been eating the same food for a while. It would make sense why it could be an allergy since we have not switched their food since they turned 1 year. They have been eating blue buffalo healthy living. I have attached some more pictures of one of the first instances where we took her for an antibiotic for the swelling, but in a different area.

Commercial diets are not acceptable for food allergy "trials". Long story but they are not free of everything and thus can easily cause problems.

That is why the prescription diet

The companies that make these have spent tens of millions of dollars to make them safe to use for food allergic animals

Those first lesions are consistent with "allergic" disease like eosinophilic granuloma complex

I would also change to metal food dishes if you are using plastic

Paul

We bought metal dishes after the first incident thinking she was having a reaction. Would I need to go to my local vet for a prescription diet? Or is this something I could find at a pet store/online? Are there multiple brands that offer this diet, or is it 1 specific brand that was designed for this kind of situation?

You can go to clinic and ask for that special diet.

Cannot buy these at pet stores or online

Best one is Royal Canin

But Hills prescription hypoallergenics are fine also

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Perfect. Thank you so much for all your help today I really appreciate it. I will look into these brands and buy some as soon as I can.

Very welcome!

Please keep me updated- I will leave this link open for you

Paul

Hi Paul, sorry to bother you again. We made an appointment to see our vet. They can take her tomorrow but when I got home she had scratched herself until she started bleeding. Our local vet wants to see it before making any recommendations, but since you've seen the pictures I was hoping you might be able to suggest how we can watch over her until her appointment. Is there a cat equivalent to Neosporin or something to help keep her from injuring herself more?