Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She’s been not acting quite as active the last few

Customer Question
She’s been not acting...

She’s been not acting quite as active the last few days...still happy and snuggly and playing a little bit but just not quite herself. However she eats, drinks, goes to the bathroom, still walks, even plays a little and scratches her scratcher. But this morning she has an obvious limp in one of her back legs. But she lets me pick her up and doesn’t seem to be in pain?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did the cat have a fall?

Not that I know of. We were gone overnight one night so maybe something happened then. But no not that I know of. Sometimes she plays rough with my other cat and he does pick on her a bit.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?

Vixen and she just turned 3

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Vixen?

She just had a physical that came up fine a couple weeks ago. She did receive a vaccine. That’s about it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/14/2018
Cat Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Vixen today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information to better assist you if you don’t mind.

Is Vixen an indoor only cat or is she allowed to go outdoors as well?

Is there any obvious swelling the the affected back leg?

She is an indoor only cat. However we have a dog we take outside to go to the bathroom. She never leaves the house though. And no there isn’t. I looked at it quick before I left for work but she looks normal.

Thank you for the prompt reply. Being an indoor cat doesn't rule out a bite wound, but makes it less likely. If however, she and the other cat in the house play rough, it sounds like it could be possible. Any bite that punctures the skin can lead to abscess formation which can be painful and often difficult to find.

Another possibility could be a soft tissue injury, like a sprain. These usually occur when the cat jumps up or down off of something and puts a strain on one of the tendons or ligaments. There is not usually noticeable swelling, but they may favor the affected leg. Of course, there could be injury to the bone, but those are usually more painful and obvious. Only an xray can differentiate the two.

As long as she is still eating and eliminating normally, you can continue to monitor for a short while to see if it improves. I would try to limit running and jumping as much as possible in a 3 year old cat. I would not offer any over the counted medications for pain as most are not safe for use in cats. If her symptoms do not resolve or worsen, I would definitely have her evaluated by your veterinarian so that the cause can be diagnosed.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen.