Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Been throwing up now for three days. A small asperigus fern…

Been throwing up now...

Been throwing up now for three days

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?

A small asperigus fern I just caught Geizer eating on it. he is about four years old and weighs about 14 pounds

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Geizer

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Geizer?

He ate a Sprengeri Asparagus densiflorus

3/14/2018
Dr. Thompson
Dr. Thompson, Veterinarian

Hi, welcome to the site. I'm reviewing your question and will be back with you in a moment.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you..The Lord appreciates that... I am a Trinitarian Monk

I'm sorry to hear your kitty Geizer is not feeling well. Cats do love eating green plants, don't they? Luckily Sprengeri Asparagus is not known to be toxic to cats. However, eating any non-digestible material can upset the stomach. Is Geizer eating?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He loves to eat.. but pulled food for now because his stomach has been upset..
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just discovered this morning after i fed his treat to him.. and he threw that up that he went to that plant to eat on it
I saw green stuff in his yuck he was throwing up

The fact that he still has an appetite is usually a good sign! You may need to consider whether something else could have upset his stomach. Possibilities that come to mind: he ate something else (foreign body in GI tract), he has another systemic illness that just started being apparent, GI parasites, there are many possibilities.

If he has just recently eaten the plant, it could be that's the only problem. I'm sure you figured this out already, but don't let him eat any more!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I removed both plants to upper shelves. should I worm him as he a preditator and nabbed two sparrows . brought me the body remains for my feast. LOL
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I been sick with the flu last week and he showed signs of coughing and hacking at night.. waking me up.

Nice! Geizer the Great Hunter :). Over the counter dewormers are generally safe to use. Follow the instructions on the label. If he continues to vomit or has any other abnormal symptoms, have him seen by a veterinarian.

Did I answer your question? Any more?

A cat coughing can sometimes be a more serious illness. If this continues, have him seen by your vet. You'll have to use your judgement as to how sick he is since you're there and I'm not :)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Geizer eyes seem good.. and he is playful.. I think he might have the plant stuck in his throat is why he could have been hacking that night before last. Now the plant have been removed I am gonna feed him and Light'n . and see how it goes. Only when he was little did he see a vet. I live in Northeastern Montana where it gets very cold ..

Sounds like you're on the right track!

I hope I've answered your questions satisfactorily. If so, I'd appreciate your five star rating. You can still send me any follow-up questions after accepting the answer and leaving a rating.

Dr. Thompson
Dr. Thompson, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What shots if any do you recomend I get him.. being he is a prediator. will leave a good rating and thanks

Well, that's a complex question. Core vaccines recommended by the American Assoc. of Feline Practitioners for cats that go outside include FVRCP, FeLV, and Rabies. There may be others recommended depending on his lifestyle, location, etc. but those are the basics.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Thompson
Dr. Thompson
Dr. Thompson
Dr. Thompson, Veterinarian