Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

NO OTHER VET IF DR SALKIN IS NOT AVAILABLE, I WILL GLADLY…

Customer Question
NO, NO OTHER VET IF...
NO, NO OTHER VET IF DR SALKIN IS NOT AVAILABLE, I WILL GLADLY WAIT FOR THIS SPECIALIST OF MY CHOICE.
Is this correct info regarding prednisone ? OUr dog was prescribed prednisone for allergy in the past also by the neurologist surgeon after spinal surgery. I have a full vail of this medication left over here, wondering to use it if necessary, like for our spaniel for his itching ? I read the toxic side effects of over dosing etc etc. Of course I am ultra careful as much as a layman can be and more. So ? is this correct info ? I was using this for our ShihTzu for her allergies but sparingly , now she seems not to be troubled so of course I stopped long ago.Our spaniel with the lichen stuff on his front legs and his licking it are my concern.Inflammation-related ailments are common in dogs, and they often lead to some relatively unpleasant symptoms, like pain, severe itching or even hair loss. Other dogs may experience inflammation in their digestive tract, which can lead to intestinal dysfunction.But fortunately, there are several medications that can help put an end to the inflammation and help your dog feel better. One of the most commonly prescribed medications in to help with inflammation is prednisone.Prednisone is a synthetic corticosteroid that functions like some of the hormones naturally present in your dog’s body. These hormones (cortisol is the most important naturally occurring one) help regulate a number of biological processes throughout the body.For example, cortisol plays a part in the body’s stress response, helps to manage the blood’s electrolyte balance and ensures your dog’s metabolism functions properly. However, its primary role involves regulating the body’s inflammatory response.Essentially, cortisol works as a break on the body’s allergic and inflammatory responses. It keeps your pup’s body from overreacting to harmless things (or sometimes, nothing at all). Some dogs suffer from out-of-control inflammatory responses, which lead to a host of unpleasant symptoms. In these cases, prednisone can be a life saver.Prednisone helps your pup’s body yank the break hard enough on the inflammatory response to end the unpleasant symptoms.Technically, prednisone doesn’t do anything for your pet until it passes through the liver via the bloodstream. At this point, the liver converts it to prednisolone, which the body can use. Accordingly, some pets with liver problems are given prednisolone, instead of the more common prednisone.Prednisone Is Available By Prescription Only
Unfortunately, prednisone is not available over the counter, and you’ll need a veterinarian’s prescription to purchase it. This is because while the drug has been studied extensively and used safely for years, it can cause important changes in the body. ( I have a supply of this from the vet s already. )For example, when a dog is given prednisone for a length of time (usually longer than 7 days), his body will stop producing enough of its own corticosteroids. This can lead to serious medical problems, so it is often necessary to wean your dog off the medication gradually if he has been taking the drug for an extended period of time.Additionally, some dogs may be suffering from other conditions that preclude the use of prednisone, such as high blood pressure, cataracts, or broken bones. ( no none of these )Conditions Prednisone Treats In Dogs:Prednisone is useful for treating an array of different problems, ranging from the relatively minor to life-threateningly serious. Some of the specific ailments prednisone is most commonly prescribed to treat include inflammatory-related conditions, such as:AllergiesHivesDry and itchy skinAnaphylactic reactionsShockInjuries, particularly those involving the spinal cord (to slow swelling)Inflammatory respiratory diseaseInflammatory bowel diseasesAsthmaAdditionally, prednisone can be prescribed to treat dogs’ auto-immune diseases (which share a lot of similarities with inflammation-related disorders), such as:
Hemolytic anemiaThrombocytopeniaDiseases of the central nervous systemPrednisone is also prescribed to treat a few very serious diseases and disorders, such as:Cancers and other types of abnormal tissue growthEndocrine disorders, such as Addison’s diseaseI DO NOT WANT ANOTHER VET IF DR SALKIN IS NOT AVAILABLE !!!!!! PAY ATTENTION .
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/14/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Yes, that information is accurate. Now please tell me why you're considering it for DRJR.