Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

He hiding in my closet stays thier all day except when comes…

Customer Question
He hiding in my...

He hiding in my closet stays thier all day except when comes out for food and water. Sneezing and tearing eyes.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name and age?

Zeus he was born on November 26 2015

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Zeus?

No just that .

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/14/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Zeus. The feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) is the most common of the infectious respiratory agents that causes the sneezing and epiphora (excessive tears most likely due to an infectious conjunctivitis) you're seeing. Thankfully, it usually goes into remission unaided within 1-3 weeks. The bacteria Mycoplasma and Chlamydophila can be found in conjunction with FHV-1 or as sole infecting agents but they, too, should go into remission unaided in that time frame. In the case in which my patient doesn't improve within the initial 10 days from the onset of symptoms, I'll prescribe the antibiotic of choice - doxycycline - to address those bacteria. The over the counter (available in some feed stores or online except in California) ophthalmic antibacterial ointment Terramycin is a good choice for a bacterial conjunctivitis. Antibiotics don't address viruses such as FHV-1 but I can prescribe the antiviral drug famciclovir if I believe that a serious case of FHV-1 is brewing.

As long as Zeus continues eat and drink in spite of his sneezing and conjunctivitis, he doesn't need to be attended to by his vet. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Well how much would that drug cost.

I regret that I can't know what you would be charged for either doxycycline or famciclovir but it's unlikely that you'll need to consider them as the great majority of these cats will go into remission unaided within 1-3 weeks from the onset of their signs. Please continue our conversation if you wish.