Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat seems to have a callus on her front paw that seems to…

Hello! My cat...

Hello! My cat seems to have a callus on her front paw that seems to be the cause of her limp. I took her to the vet and they ruled out any broken bones or serious issues so I think the cause of the limping is her callus. The vet told me to try hydrocortisone but it’s not easy to keep her away from it and she hates when I wrap her paw up. Anything else I can try? She was on pain meds but that didn’t seem to do anything. It looks almost like a wart and I want to cut it off but obviously I don’t want to do that without knowing what it is. Any insight?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is your cat bleeding a lot?

No bleeding at all.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?

Lucy age 9

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lucy?

She is overweight but that is about it. Pretty healthy overall

3/14/2018
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 12 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue and as I am typing out a response.

Can you attach a photo of the paw/callus?

Have you tried cutting the callus off a little at a time or filing it off with a nail file? That is what I would try. Or ask your vet to do it, and see if that helps. The callus likely formed from abnormal pressure on that side of the paw pad, meaning that your cat is likely walking funny to compensate for arthritis pain, so this all may be related to arthritis pain. I would get rid of the callus first (I would not use hydrocortisone- that won't do anything) and go from there. Good luck!

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions or are not yet satisfied with my answer, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service (5 star rating), please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Bonuses are appreciated... it's always nice to get tipped for your services. Best of luck.

Would Vitamin E oil help at all?

It's possible it could soften it, but it won't get rid of it.

I am wrapping up for the day here, but I need to make sure that you do not have any other questions for me before I sign off. To help signal to me whether or not we are done, please either rate my service (preferable), or say "thank you" to indicate that you are happy with my service and we are done talking for now, or please ask me more follow up questions. Thanks!

Thank you.

You are so welcome! Please remember to rate my service so that I will receive compensation for assisting you today... bonuses/tips are appreciated. Good luck, and have a great rest of the day.

Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian