Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I am looking for a second opinion on a cat with a torn

I am looking for...

I am looking for a second opinion on a cat with a torn urethra

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cat?

It has a torn urethra

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the cat seem to hurt?

From its bladder

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the cat's name and age?

Taz 5

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Are you a bot?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Yes, I'm a bot. I make the process of talking to the vet more efficient and affordable by asking basic questions. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

The cat has a torn urethra. It had a blockage and now it was cleared. I would like a second opinion from a vet about surgery and my options.

The cat still at the emergency vet with a catheter
My question is the emergency vet wants to hold the cat for 5-7 days to let the urethra heal. However the cost is outside my budget. The vet is estimating the stay to be between 2000-3000 dollars on top of the $2200 I already paid to remove the blockage. It this reasonable? Now the blockage is removed, can I find a local vet to monitor him at a cheaper rate? Can I shop around for his aftercare while his urethra heals and have my local vet remove the catheter?
3/14/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you tell me more about where the urethral tear is located?

Does he have an indwelling catheter currently?

Is he at a specialist/ER facility currently?

In what city and state do you reside?

The location is unknown. The specialist is coming today to look at the x-ray.I am unsure. I was told he has a catheter in and it is suturedYes, He is at Garden State Veterinary Specialist. Its a 24 hr emergency pet hospital
I live in Belmar, New Jersey

The cost seems rather high for what will essentially be monitoring by veterinary staff. I do believe that you could find cheaper care by going to a daytime practice and having him hospitalized there vs. leaving him at GSVS. In some cases, although this should be a worst-case scenario, cats can be discharged to their owners with indwelling catheters so long as they can manage care at home for the urinary catheter and the pet.

Veterinary clinics I would reach out to in Belmar would be:
1) http://www.sharkrivervet.com
2) https://atlanticvh.com
3) https://www.facebook.com/pages/Belmar-Wall-Animal-Hospital/117182488341639

Typically a rough quote can be given over the phone but a veterinary clinic will likely not be able to give you a specific quote without the cat in-clinic and with referral paperwork in hand.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
I am waiting on my vet to call.Thank you for your response. I will keep you posted

You're welcome. Good luck!

If the vet doesn't want to take him, do you have any website's or literature on how to manage him at home? Is this something that I can pay you to help us with? My wife and I are expecting our first child. This cat means the world to her. I just started major renovations for a baby room. So money is not there but I don't want to give up on him. If we lose him, then she can take comfort in that we tried everything. Even just talking about fighting for him is making her feel better about the situation. But we love this cat and wrap our heads around killing him because of managing a catheter. We are both intelligent humans so I am up for the fight but just need some guidance.
cannot wrap our heads.....

Your vet giving you instructions will be more useful than information online. It will all depend on how the catheter is set up, if they are sending him home with a collection bag, etc. Let's cross that bridge if we come to it.

Talk to the vet today and see if they have figured out where the tear is. I'm surprised euthanasia has even been discussed. I would ask about a perineal urethrostomy before throwing in the towel completely. This might be a fix for both concerns 1) preventing figure blockages and 2) removing the damaged part of the penis. It all depends on where that tear is. They usually respond very well to catheterization and time for healing. If not, the PU surgery might still be an option. I'll be very surprised if a vet clinic refuses to take a cat in that just needs monitoring and catheter care. These are typically easy to manage with the proper skillset. One way or the other, if you guys have to do this from home I'll make sure you have the info you need.

ok. Thank you again. I am sorry for all the ?'s. Between getting a Cliff's Notes education and the anxiety, we are just grasping for straws. I will wait till I hear something and run it by you as my 2nd opinion. Thank you again.

You're welcome. No problem at all for all the questions, that's precisely what this service is all about. I'll keep an eye out for additional messages from you. If you reply and don't hear back within 15-20 minutes, I've likely signed off for a short bit and will reply as soon as I'm signed on again.

My vet just called. he does not want to take him. He said the cat needs 24 hr care and it's not something he can do at his place. He told me to leave him at GSVS. I am going to call around a few vets.

Keep me posted.