Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She hasn't been eating the last couple days, her face looks…

She hasn't been eating...

She hasn't been eating the last couple days, her face looks swollen and it looks like she is having trouble swallowing. She is 17 yr old cat

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?

Lizzy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lizzy?

Not really

3/14/2018
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 12 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue and as I am typing out a response.

I am sorry to hear about the way Lizzy is doing. How long has her face appeared swollen? Can you attach a photo?

Are you there?

i guess you didn't get my reply

I did not.

I just noticed her face today because today she acts like she doesn't feel well so i looked her over.

Is it symmetric? Is her face painful when you touch it?

N o, it doesn't seem to be

Any weight loss in the past year? When was the last time she had blood work at the vet?

No weight loss but it's been a long time since the vet. She's been a very healthy cat as her age reflects.

Okay. What do you mean when you say she is having trouble swallowing? Has she tried to eat or drink and it came back up? Or is she just swallowing frequently?

When you see her swallow it's like she swallows hard, like it's an effort

Is she drinking?

Huh, i feel bad saying i don't know but i don't. She hasn't done much of anything today

Is she producing normal amounts of urine?

As far as i know but i don't pay alot of attention til there's a problem. She just threw up though, that's new.
Then went in her liter box and peed

Okay. The most likely scenario is that she is having issues with her thyroid or her kidneys. If you have Prilosec or Pepcid A/C you can give 1/2 tablet tonight orally, then see a vet tomorrow for blood work. There's not much else you can do at home. I hope they find something treatable like thyroid issues! Good luck!

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions or are not yet satisfied with my answer, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service (5 star rating), please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Bonuses are appreciated... it's always nice to get tipped for your services. Best of luck.

Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian
Thank you

You are most welcome!